Pediatric Programs for Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrStephTColbert

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone on SDN interested in pediatric primary care and know of good residency programs that prioritize primary care? For example, I've heard great things about Seattle but that CHOP, while amazing for subspecialities, isn't necessarily the best for primary care..

Members don't see this ad.

All programs produce plenty of graduates that go into primary care, even the highest rated programs. Having said that, many of the ones not in the top 5-8 in US News rankings often produce more primary care docs and tend to focus on this more during residency. I would focus on location, type of population served (e.g. how much time, etc with underserved groups) and what you learn from talking to grads and residents rather than program reputation or ranking. Consider also that you might change your mind during residency.....

Going into residency, I was pretty sure that I wanted to do primary care peds and am still plan on going into primary care. What I looked for in a program was an academically rigorous program that saw everything from bread and butter to the zebras and was supportive of people going into primary care. There are a handful of programs that have primary care tracks that are well established and provide more outpatient training and opportunities within residency, which is typically very inpatient focused. I mainly interviewed in the Northeast and the programs that seemed to do it well were DC Children's (Community health or primary care track), Montefiore (Social Peds track), and Pittsburgh (PALS track). If you're set on more academic primary care, Boston combined's Urban Health and Advocacy track is a great choice, but doesn't focus as much on being a community pediatrician and a good chunk of the people in that track end up specializing. Other programs that I've heard about, but can't really speak to are Seattle and UCSF's PLUS track. Like OBP stated, many of the smaller programs do a great job supporting people in primary care because a larger chunk of their graduates go on to do primary care. Overall, it's a good idea to apply broadly to figure out what learning environment works best for you.

Last edited:
Is anyone on SDN interested in pediatric primary care and know of good residency programs that prioritize primary care? For example, I've heard great things about Seattle but that CHOP, while amazing for subspecialities, isn't necessarily the best for primary care..

Look at places where a large proportion of residents go into primary care. Most programs will have this sort of data on their website. It was a while ago when I had looked at this, but for example, Boston and Cincinnati both sent >90% of their residents to fellowship. That said, this new thing with various "tracts" and such for residents, I don't if that will change things.

While it's nice to be able to see the really weird stuff, remember, that's the stuff unlikely to be on your peds boards. My opinion is that the best programs for those going into primary care are the children's hospitals that are the only option in the region so that EVERYTHING gets funneled to that location, bread and butter, standard and not so standard subspecialty cases, and the absolute zebras. There are many places that meet that criteria - one such example would be Children's Mercy in Kansas City. It is the only major children's hospital between St. Louis and Denver, and from Omaha Nebraska to Little Rock Arkansas.