Pediatric Residency Scores/Criteria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ssunshine4

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I'm new to this section, just decided to pursue peds but don't know where to begin building a list of both those programs that I want to apply to, and those that I have a chance of being a candidate for? I know this information isn't readily available on the internet, especially in terms of average board scores for each program, but I'm curious if any of you have contacted schools and found this out? Or, how I would go about finding this out?

I hate to even ask because I know how stressful this process is for everyone, but if anyone has any info, I'd really appreciate it!
 
Hi all,
I'm new to this section, just decided to pursue peds but don't know where to begin building a list of both those programs that I want to apply to, and those that I have a chance of being a candidate for? I know this information isn't readily available on the internet, especially in terms of average board scores for each program, but I'm curious if any of you have contacted schools and found this out? Or, how I would go about finding this out?

I hate to even ask because I know how stressful this process is for everyone, but if anyone has any info, I'd really appreciate it!

You will have a hard time getting that Board score information from programs. Even though USMLE scores are considered in the residency selection process, there is usually more to the selection process than that. Your best bet would be to talk to several Peds faculty members at your institution; they may have a sense of how previous students with scores/grades, etc. similar to yours have done in the application/match process in the past. And it is usually a good idea to apply to a range of programs (in terms of their perceived competitiveness). Nothing wrong with aiming high but also having other quality programs that might not be as obviously competitive on your list. But be careful what you wish for....Program "snob appeal" won't mean very much if you are unhappy with the city, the program, your peer group, etc.