Pediatric Residency Start Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all you awesome future pediatricians!

As a 4th year med student who is definitely going into peds :love:, I was wondering what are the start dates for various pediatric residencies in terms of when orientation starts. I know some programs (such as my home program: Pitt) start really early (2nd week in June) while other just have about a week to 1.5 weeks of orientation and then start on July 1st. I tried searching for old posts but I did not find anything recent. I would really appreciate it. Good luck to all the new interns!:D

-DrJ2B

Members don't see this ad.

This year, my program started orientation on Monday, June 16th, and our first "real" day at work was Tuesday, June 24th. I've heard of others with schedules similar to ours, others who started a week later, and others who didn't start until July 1.

We started on June 17th with orientation and hit the wards on the 24th. I know of a few friends at one program who started the 10th :eek: and they were the earliest i saw.

Members don't see this ad :)
We also start on the 17th of June but have two grueling weeks of orientation before actually starting work on July 1st. Since every program is different and some even change from year to year, the best thing to do is ask, but assume you'll start orientation at some point in mid june.

This year, my program started orientation on Monday, June 16th, and our first "real" day at work was Tuesday, June 24th. I've heard of others with schedules similar to ours, others who started a week later, and others who didn't start until July 1.

Our schedule was pretty similar to Marigold's. Except we started 6/23, had another big, all-UCI orientation on 6/24, then started for real again 6/25.

Bottom line, most will probably start orientation in mid-June, and you'll be put to work about 1-2 weeks after that :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much to everyone for your information. I really appreciate it. This will definitely help me plan my post-graduation trip to Europe to visit some family.

Hey all you awesome future pediatricians!

As a 4th year med student who is definitely going into peds :love:, I was wondering what are the start dates for various pediatric residencies in terms of when orientation starts. I know some programs (such as my home program: Pitt) start really early (2nd week in June) while other just have about a week to 1.5 weeks of orientation and then start on July 1st. I tried searching for old posts but I did not find anything recent. I would really appreciate it. Good luck to all the new interns!:D

-DrJ2B

Here at Cincinnati Children's, we started (paid) orientation on Mon July 16. We started our first rotation on 7/25 (on 7/24 we shadowed our team, which was extremely helpful!).

PM me if you have more questions on Peds :)

Must've been nice to get paid for orientation!
:)

We had to do it for free.

Here at Cincinnati Children's, we started (paid) orientation on Mon July 16. We started our first rotation on 7/25 (on 7/24 we shadowed our team, which was extremely helpful!).

PM me if you have more questions on Peds :)

Dang - not only do you have great ice cream and chili but you don't have to start orientation until the middle of July!!

Perhaps you meant June? ;)

To the OP: Don't plan your wedding or any other big event you'd like to attend after June 12th or so.:)

Dang - not only do you have great ice cream and chili but you don't have to start orientation until the middle of July!!

Perhaps you meant June? ;)

To the OP: Don't plan your wedding or any other big event you'd like to attend after June 12th or so.:)

DOH!
LOL....oops, I DID mean June! Soory, I can't believe time went by sooooo fast!