Pediatric Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr4kiddos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for Pediatric Residency right now. I know I am not a very competitive applicant as I have a mediocre Step 1 score, no research experience, and only some "Honors" on my clerkships. Just for the heck of it, I applied for the top programs (Boston, Chop, Cleaveland, Baylor, UCSF, UCLA, Stanford) but I need suggestions of programs I should look into that are less competitive but still great academic programs. Any suggestions?

I've been trying to choose programs that prepare their residents well for Boards (board pass rate >80%). I will try to be open geographically, but am partial to California because I have family there.

Is there a good resource for this type of info?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently applying for Pediatric Residency right now. I know I am not a very competitive applicant as I have a mediocre Step 1 score, no research experience, and only some "Honors" on my clerkships. Just for the heck of it, I applied for the top programs (Boston, Chop, Cleaveland, Baylor, UCSF, UCLA, Stanford) but I need suggestions of programs I should look into that are less competitive but still great academic programs. Any suggestions?

I've been trying to choose programs that prepare their residents well for Boards (board pass rate >80%). I will try to be open geographically, but am partial to California because I have family there.

Is there a good resource for this type of info?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Here is a link for the ABP pass rates:
https://www.abp.org/abpwebsite/resident/passrates.htm

I hope this helps.

I need suggestions of programs I should look into that are less competitive but still great academic programs. Any suggestions?

I would look into CHLA's residency program. It is an excellent (and challenging) academic program - and apparently they had a 93% pass rate for the boards last year.

As for advice on how to beef up your application, I can give you four specific pieces of advice:

1) Be positive. You have come a long way so far, and this was no easy task. Do not become dissuaded by comparing your test score and research experience to others. On your interview day, play up your positive qualities, and do not apologize, or even bring up, your less notable achievements.

2) Apply EARLY. I can't emphasize this enough. Hopefully you've already submitted your application.

3) Write, rewrite, and review your personal statement. Give it to three PROFESSIONALS (i.e. in the medical field) to review for suggestions, and then give it to a non-medical person (friend, significant other) for final review. A well-written personal statement can show a lot more about who you are than your scores can, particularly if you're not proud of them.

4) If you can, get a better score on step II than you did on step I, and SUBMIT it to the residency programs through ERAS (along with a follow-up email to notify them that you have your score available for review). It may settle any reservations the program has about a "borderline" step I score.

Hope that helps.