Pediatric surgery: Pectus Excavatum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dice456

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Are there any surgeons here familiar with minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Are there any surgeons here familiar with minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum?
I'm only a student, but I just wanted to post to say that the Nuss Procedure is pretty badass even just thinking about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for responding. I was born with severe pectus excavatum and underwent the Nuss procedure. After the surgery I gained a significant interest in working in this area of medicine. I haven't even started medical school yet, but wanted to know if you could shed a little insight into this field for me? Sorry if this question is unclear.

Thanks guys for responding. I was born with severe pectus excavatum and underwent the Nuss procedure. After the surgery I gained a significant interest in working in this area of medicine. I haven't even started medical school yet, but wanted to know if you could shed a little insight into this field for me? Sorry if this question is unclear.

The question *is* unclear.

The Nuss procedure is performed by Pediatric Surgeons, who have done a General Surgery residency followed by a Pediatric Surgery fellowship. Peds Surgery is one of the most competitive General Surgery fellowships to get into.

Are there specific questions you have about the field of Pediatric Surgery?

Assisted in a Ravitch a few weeks ago. That looked like it hurt.

The question *is* unclear.

The Nuss procedure is performed by Pediatric Surgeons, who have done a General Surgery residency followed by a Pediatric Surgery fellowship. Peds Surgery is one of the most competitive General Surgery fellowships to get into.

Are there specific questions you have about the field of Pediatric Surgery?

Thanks WS that is some good starting info. I am planning on attending a public medical school in Texas. Would you suggest any particular schools related to surgery? I am keeping an open mind about working in any field in medicine. I'm not dead set on becoming a surgeon, but it the thought of performing this surgery is something I am interested in.

Thanks WS that is some good starting info. I am planning on attending a public medical school in Texas. Would you suggest any particular schools related to surgery?

All medical schools require rotations in surgery. You learn your (surgical) craft during residency. Thus, get into the best medical school you can where you learn the basics.

I am keeping an open mind about working in any field in medicine. I'm not dead set on becoming a surgeon, but it the thought of performing this surgery is something I am interested in.

If (and that is a BIG if), you end up becoming a Pediatric Surgeon, you will perform many other procedures besides the Nuss.

Ravitch seems outdated to me. Do you know why the surgeon used the method?

Many pediatric surgeons still perform the Ravitch. I got to do two this past year, and I must say...they are wicked fun. :D Some surgeons believe it is a better repair in severe cases or in older patients. Others believe you trade 4 weeks of moderate-severe pain (with the Ravitch) for 2-3 years of mild-moderate pain (with the Nuss). And you'll also find that many patients simply prefer one procedure over the other...just do a google search on either and you'll find plenty of debates and testimonials online!

Many pediatric surgeons still perform the Ravitch. I got to do two this past year, and I must say...they are wicked fun. :D Some surgeons believe it is a better repair in severe cases or in older patients. Others believe you trade 4 weeks of moderate-severe pain (with the Ravitch) for 2-3 years of mild-moderate pain (with the Nuss). And you'll also find that many patients simply prefer one procedure over the other...just do a google search on either and you'll find plenty of debates and testimonials online!

I must admit that does sound hardcore wicked fun!! Also, Nuss requires two surgeries. Not sure about Ravitch, but I think it's just one invasive op (going to look into it more).
Also, I see you're a DO. That reminds me there's a DO program in Texas I need to look into visiting.

i have this condition of pectus excavatum and have no medical insurance and wanted to know if there is anybody that helps out financialy with the surgery i have severe breathin problems and blackout from time to time please get back at me .thank you

SDN is not for asking of medical advice, nor can we guide you to appropriate financial resources. If you are having a medical issue, please see your family doctor or present to a health care facility for evaluation.