Pediatric Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chimera

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, I was aware there was talk of starting combined general and pediatric surgery residencies (3+3/4+2). Has anything come of this? Are there any programs currently running or going to be when I graduate next year?

Members don't see this ad.

i have spoken with a few faculty at my institution about this, and they seem to think that it is only at a few places, and its very experimental at this time.

The same thing is going on with vascular surgery, and it is still being reviewed. it has been overhauled in several ways,and in a few places completely removed. it is difficult to adjust the housestaff schedules when you start losing residents in the 3rd or 4th year.

you should speak to some of the peds surg faculty at your institution to get a better idea about it.

Bump from the dead...

anyone heard anything about this? Kim? Njbmd?

Members don't see this ad :)
Goose-d said:
Bump from the dead...

Wish I could help but I've heard nothing either. I'll try and ask our Peds attendings if they know anything. I'd imagine that it would be a very competitive field (probably even more so than the traditional track is now).

Goose-d said:
Bump from the dead...

Hi there,
I did hear that some subspecialty programs were thinking about shortening the number of general surgery years a couple of years ago. I asked all of my pediatric surgery attendings about this as I am chief in peds surgery now. All of them said that the idea has lost some ground because many fellowships feel that the chief year is vitally important now that the 80-hour work week has been in effect. Most people are not getting their major cases until their chief years. If they move into fellowship after third year, they will end up missing some of the major casework that is vital background for fellowship.

njbmd :)

thanks guys (generic) for the responses!

Our attendings here echoed those at UVA. Junior residents just don't get the volume of the more difficult cases which are important to be able to do the advanced Peds cases; and the more senior residents are losing cases because of work hour restrictions and are felt not to be prepared without that Chief year.

Kimberli Cox said:
Our attendings here echoed those at UVA. Junior residents just don't get the volume of the more difficult cases which are important to be able to do the advanced Peds cases; and the more senior residents are losing cases because of work hour restrictions and are felt not to be prepared without that Chief year.

kim and njbmd: you are saints. for real.

thank you.

goose.