Pediatrics after PGY-1 in another specialty

Started by kralwok
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kralwok

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently completed a year of a non-pediatrics related specialty and have had a change of heart. I have decided now that I would really like to do pediatrics. Would I go about applying through the match or is it possible to get outside the match spots? Also, I will technically be a PGY-2, but I of course would need to work as an intern to acquire the knowledge base for peds. Is it possible to do 3 more years of peds or are there funding issues that would not allow me to do that?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I completed a preliminary year in internal medicine.

Were you just in a one year internship or officially in a 3 year program? Because one year internship allows you to do whatver afterward, but a 3 year one, technically only allows you 2 more years, as far as the official people who fund the residents go. Although I see that rule broken all the time, it's a matter of where the funding will come from (the program may fnd you anyway, if they want you, so don't let this stop you).

If you are an American MD grad, you can't sign outside the match. You can register on ERAS for the match but list nothing and scramble in if you want to take that chance. I know someone who did that for a traditional internship. But my guess is that it would be difficult for peds because they would quesiton your intention.

You can sign outside the match if you are an FMG or a DO and are applying to ACGME programs.

Good luck!
 
If you are an American MD grad, you can't sign outside the match.

You can sign outside the match if you are an FMG or a DO and are applying to ACGME programs.

As far as I know, US Seniors are not allowed to sign outside the match. If you have already graduated, you can.