Pediatrics at Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theralist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a medical student who is just about to start my M2 year. I'm interested in pediatric cardiology (and right now electrophysiology so I can do procedures). I've heard Michigan is a really good place to train for this (the director of pediatric cardiology at my medical school trained there, and he has sent many other fellows there to do some training).

I'm a decent student, but probably not top of the class. In M1 year, we had 5 classes you could honor and I honored 3 and near honored 1 (anatomy). The class I only passed was neuro, which I just never fully understood (though I studied very hard). No boards score or clinical grades to go off of yet so not sure what to say there.

Has anyone here done training in peds at Michigan, or know someone who has? What does it usually take to get into peds there? I'm talking the whole package: step 1, clerkship grades, other things I'm not thinking of.

Thanks in advance for the help, and I apologize if this is the wrong thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a physician. My kid is. However, I grew up in Michigan and lived in Ann Arbor for five years. Since no one has offered anything here, I'll jump in. In general the University of Michigan has a sterling academic reputation and an endowment that exceeds $8 billion. As college towns go, Ann Arbor is OK. However, U of M is afflicted with the worst case of institutional narcissism on planet earth. A friend of mine is a world class scholar in a non-medical field and Michigan asked him to interview for a tenured full professorship. The interviewer's first substantive question, posed in the most condescending tone possible, was, "Why did you get your doctorate at X University".

Michigan has a well funded stand alone children's hospital. Although there are three peds programs in Ohio that are more prestigious than Michigan's, you would unquestionably get good training there. On the other hand you might want to punch 25 to 40% of the people you meet there. If you can match there, get ready to defend the institutions from whence you came to 25 to 40% of the jerks you meet there.

In 2014 Michigan failed to match 8 of its 22 spots in pediatrics in the initial match. I suspect this stemmed from the institution's megalomania. They didn't interview and/or rank enough applicants. That's just hilarious.

I suspect you'll need to get a 235 on Step 1 to get an interview. You'll need a higher score if you come from a low ranked med school. Good luck.

It pains me to admit this but Michigan's pediatrics program kicks some serious butt when it comes to NIH funding. See these links and go to the peds tables:

http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/2013/NIH_Awards_2013.htm
http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/2014/NIH_Awards_2014.htm

Please note that in this regard the University of Minnesota is the equal of Michigan.

msquaredb, if you are bright enough to attend any MD school on the West Coast you could match at most of the major pediatrics programs in the Midwest. Don't sell yourself or programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin, MCW, Iowa and your home state program in Indianapolis at Riley short.

Reactions: 1 user
Generally speaking, I wouldn't worry at all about the program being "elitist" (I've spent time there and at other large academic institutions in the midwest and east coast). I had numerous friends complete their residencies there, they were all good students with above average board scores, but not necessarily the type fighting it out for the top spot in their class. You're spot on that they have a fantastic pediatric cardiology program, generally regarded as one of the top 3 or so, in the country. I can tell you with certainty that there is no cutoff for needing a 235 on your Step 1 score to land an interview. If your school gives you the chance, I would consider trying to schedule an away elective there. You'll get a good feel for the place and if you like what you see, you'll have built connections and relationships there (and that certainly never hurts).