Pediatrics Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZebramZee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can tell me some pediatric residency programs that are the least competitive to get into? I don't have the best score on the Step 1 (194) and I remediated my second year due to some personal problems I was having. I did do a year of research with one publication, and I'm planning on taking the Step 2 early and I think I can do a lot better on it compared to the Step 1. But I would like to make sure I am applying to programs I can get in to. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably better suited in the peds sub-forum, but look at community programs, rather than academic ones. They can be harder to find, but they're there. UAZ is probably the least competitive program I personally applied to, and most of the other western programs are pretty competitive (especially the coast and CO), so avoid those. Midwestern programs seem to be the least desirable by location, so check them out.

UAZ does place a larger focus on board scores

Members don't see this ad :)
There are tons of great peds programs out there, so you shouldn't worry about being able to find a quality program. Even if you're thinking you want to go into fellowship, the competition for those spots is not overwhelming and so going to a mid level program will be more than adequate.

I wouldn't call the midwest "undesirable", but compared to the West Coast, there are simply more programs in a variety of settings that appeal to a variety of applicants.

The bottom line is that for someone with less than stellar board scores, the best course of action is to apply broadly to a variety of programs (sizes, locales, geographic regions)

The "less competitive" programs are the ones that typically fill with a small handful of IMG, Carribean or DO medical students (you can look this up in Freida). In the northeast, some examples are Albert Einstein in PA, Crozer Chester, Rutgers NJMS and RWJMS . There are also a good handful of NYC programs that are smaller such as Maimonides, Winthrop. Like BigRedBeta stated, you should still apply to a variety of programs with some reaches because generally pediatrics isn't as score driven. If you do well on your clerkships, get great letters of rec, it can go a long way.

Last edited:
I appreciate the replies so far. Thanks guys.