Pediatrics residency interview season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pemberley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "classic" advice is, of course: take December off and take something light during January -- however, I've heard here and there that interview season has shifted more towards November-December in recent years.

I have no spare room in my 4th year schedule, and I will have to interview more places than most in an effort to coordinate with my husband's job search. In particular, I have a couple decisions to make next week that will hinge on whether I ought to leave open the possibility of an interview in:
1) the first two weeks of November
2) the last two weeks of January

Any opinions/experience? Would the early November interviews be less likely for those of us with thoroughly average numbers?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of places have interviews in both of those time slots. Some of the more competitive programs don't offer many interviews before Dean's letters go out, but a LOT of programs do. I did all my interviewing in November and December just fine. I'd say more schools have interview dates end of January, as I seem to remember a lot of schools starting interviews mid-November, but I think you'd be fine with either block of time.

The "classic" advice is, of course: take December off and take something light during January -- however, I've heard here and there that interview season has shifted more towards November-December in recent years.

I have no spare room in my 4th year schedule, and I will have to interview more places than most in an effort to coordinate with my husband's job search. In particular, I have a couple decisions to make next week that will hinge on whether I ought to leave open the possibility of an interview in:

Any opinions/experience? Would the early November interviews be less likely for those of us with thoroughly average numbers?

Numbers does not equal person and YOU are not "thoroughly average".;)

Plenty of interviews occur in early January. That's still prime time. Glad you're going pedi :soexcited::soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be more likely to actually go on interviews that get scheduled in early November...by late January, you'll be very tired of airports, will have seen plenty of places that you liked, and unless you've got some dream program at the end, interview number 8 or 12 or 15 just isn't going to be something you want to do. No matter what you'll be tired, but even if you reach double digits by Christmas, I feel like that immediately after the holidays, you're a little refreshed and you'll manage the early January interviews, but that energy will fade fast.

... In particular, I have a couple decisions to make next week that will hinge on whether I ought to leave open the possibility of an interview in:
Most programs have a system for "scoring" applicants and interviews, so interviewing late isn't necessarily an advantage from that standpoint. I worry about putting too many interviews off until late in the season because of the potential that bad weather might interfere with your travel plans, particularly if you need to fly to some of your sites. So if your early November vs. late January is an "either-or" decision, I would vote for early November.

As you can see, it's a toss up. I vote for keeping January open. because there's a chance that you won't have a sizable number of interview invites by november-- and it can't hurt to be a little more "fresh" in a program's mind (closer to match day). Either is fine though. Go with what works best for your life.