Pediatrics Residency Tiers? Rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

toescrossed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone!

I have a few questions in regards to residency competitiveness? I have filtered through old SDN forums, but I'm still confused, so I hope this isn't too annoying...

I'm a third year medical student at the University of Sydney (in Australia), I'm a US citizen and I scored a 231 on USMLE Step I...

I want to match in the US in Pediatrics and I have no idea where to consider applying to? I know I don't have to decide tomorrow but I'd like to begin considering the future. I see that people have graciously gone through and placed programs into tiers, however I don't know what that really means in terms of how high scores are, amount of research etc.

For example, Boston Children's is obviously a top program, so does that mean that the average USMLE Step I scores are 260+?

So, I'm asking who is competitive at a "top" program, a "mid" program etc?

thanks a billion 🙂
 
Good question. If you find the answer to that, we'd all like to know.

For some reason med schools are happy to publish MCAT stats but residency programs (in all specialties) are reluctant to publish any stats. On the one hand, I understand that they are meaningless for smaller programs (<5) and that residencies like to see a wide range of applicants, but on the other hand, it would help applicants gauge their competitiveness.

Either way, 231 is a great score. I'm not sure if doing medical school in Australia works against you since you are a US citizen, but as long as you apply broadly you should be fine. Good luck!
 
haha thanks Slade! I appreciate the reply!

I will let you know if I find anything, but as you say - probably unlikely 🙁