pediatrics respiratory diseases

Started by nature4me
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nature4me

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like pediatric pulmonology but I don't like the whole pediatrics field! (just respiration!).
Is there any where that I can bypass 3 years of general pediatrics residency and directly go for pediatric pulmonology?
I have heard that in some countries you can study an internal medicine subspecialty directly as a residency program; for example you can go directly for oncology.
is there such a thing for pediatrics too?
does anyone know anything about it?
 
Last edited:
(In smallest, almost unreadable font) No, not if you want to be a pediatric pulmonologist in the US. However, if allergy/immunology/asthma is of interest, one may become an A&I specialist from either internal medicine or pediatrics and the field of A&I is all-ages
 
I like the "respiratory diseases" subspecialty of pediatrics
but I don't like the whole pediatrics feild! (just respiration!).
Is there any where that I can bypass 3 years of general pediatrics studying and directly go for pediatrics respiratory subspecialty?
I have heard that in some countries you can study an internal medicine subspecialty directly as a residency program; for example you go directly for oncology with no need for 4 years of internal medicine as a must!
is there such a thing for pediatrics too?
does anyone know anything about it?
regards

Please try to post using a standard font size. Us "oldbears" don't see so good anymore.😎

In any case, pediatric pulmonology is a supbspecialty of pediatrics and in the United States, you must complete your pediatric training before beginning training in this specialty. It is a three year fellowship like almost all pediatric fellowships. There is no way around it.

Many pediatric specialties include a substantial component of respiratory system care, including neonatology, pediatric critical care and to some degree pediatric cardiology. As noted by J-Rad, Allergy and immunology is an independent fellowship that can be done after either pediatrics or internal medicine.

Now, more generally, I would give you the advice I give others who ask similar questions. If you are going to be a pediatric pulmonologist, you won't primarily be doing general pediatric type things. It's quite possible to not like well baby/child visits, gastro, etc and still be a happy camper as a pedi specialist. However, if you are truly allergic to the idea of spending three years in pediatric residency seeing these patients, then I recommend another field. You'll be too unhappy before you get to fellowship.

I would say though that even though I was quite certain of my interest in neo when I started residency, except for adolescent medicine (and to a lesser degree EM), I enjoyed most of my non-neonatology pedi residency time knowing it wasn't what I would be doing for a career.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please try to post using a standard font size. Us "oldbears" don't see so good anymore.😎

In any case, pediatric pulmonology is a supbspecialty of pediatrics and in the United States, you must complete your pediatric training before beginning training in this specialty. It is a three year fellowship like almost all pediatric fellowships. There is no way around it.

Many pediatric specialties include a substantial component of respiratory system care, including neonatology, pediatric critical care and to some degree pediatric cardiology. As noted by J-Rad, Allergy and immunology is an independent fellowship that can be done after either pediatrics or internal medicine.

Now, more generally, I would give you the advice I give others who ask similar questions. If you are going to be a pediatric pulmonologist, you won't primarily be doing general pediatric type things. It's quite possible to not like well baby/child visits, gastro, etc and still be a happy camper as a pedi specialist. However, if you are truly allergic to the idea of spending three years in pediatric residency seeing these patients, then I recommend another field. You'll be too unhappy before you get to fellowship.

I would say though that even though I was quite certain of my interest in neo when I started residency, except for adolescent medicine (and to a lesser degree EM), I enjoyed most of my non-neonatology pedi residency time knowing it wasn't what I would be doing for a career.

what was it about those areas that you didn't care for??
 
as a compensation for the previous small fonts,I should say:
thank you dear professor!
Please try to post using a standard font size. Us "oldbears" don't see so good anymore.😎

In any case, pediatric pulmonology is a supbspecialty of pediatrics and in the United States, you must complete your pediatric training before beginning training in this specialty. It is a three year fellowship like almost all pediatric fellowships. There is no way around it.

Many pediatric specialties include a substantial component of respiratory system care, including neonatology, pediatric critical care and to some degree pediatric cardiology. As noted by J-Rad, Allergy and immunology is an independent fellowship that can be done after either pediatrics or internal medicine.

Now, more generally, I would give you the advice I give others who ask similar questions. If you are going to be a pediatric pulmonologist, you won't primarily be doing general pediatric type things. It's quite possible to not like well baby/child visits, gastro, etc and still be a happy camper as a pedi specialist. However, if you are truly allergic to the idea of spending three years in pediatric residency seeing these patients, then I recommend another field. You'll be too unhappy before you get to fellowship.

I would say though that even though I was quite certain of my interest in neo when I started residency, except for adolescent medicine (and to a lesser degree EM), I enjoyed most of my non-neonatology pedi residency time knowing it wasn't what I would be doing for a career.