Pediatrics Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stinger86

Intern year? Ha!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took it. Out of 100 questions:

-Most questions dealt with GI, respiratory, endocrine, and ID-related complaints.
-A lot of kids presenting with generalized tonic-clonic seizures or just plain seizures
-One question dealing with ethics
-Know your murmurs
-Maybe two questions dealing with child psychiatry
-More pediatric gynecology and related stuff than I expected (sigh)
-By far, the more difficult questions involved the "most appropriate next step in management"
-In the same vein as the last note, a sizeable chunk of questions dealing with emergency situations and how to deal with them.
-I only remember one picture/image on my exam
-Maybe two or three graphs/charts/tables

Overall, I felt this shelf was a little harder than the Medicine shelf and simply much, much shorter. I finished with 30 minutes to spare, whereas I only had 10 minutes on the Medicine exam. There were a lot of questions that were very loooong, but there were an equal number of questions that were very short (like 3 sentences), which was nice. Again, most questions asking for a diagnosis were simply "find the buzzword and match the answer"; the difficult questions involved appropriate next steps and such. I probably had the most difficult time with the "twenty answers" questions near the end because the presentations were so vague and general, and yet the answer choices were so specific. Whatever. One last thing: I felt that every question on my medical shelf was answerable (as in, I've seen this stuff before), but there were some questions on the Peds shelf that I had never seen before, not in the hospital, not in the review books, not in the textbooks. That sucks. Narrow down the answers, guess, and move on.

We'll see how the scoring goes. I thought this shelf was a bit more difficult than the Medicine shelf (due to there being material I've never seen before), but I think I made a higher score. Who knows. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey thanks there king of slack!

any one else have any input on this exam? I am taking my peds shelf rather soon as well.............

thanks