Pediatrics training after medical school

Started by themister
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

themister

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering what people have to do, in terms of education and training, after finishing medical school if they want to become a pediatrician?

Also, I was looking at the departments in a local children's hospital and saw that they have different pediatric medicine departments, such as pediatric cardiology or pediatric endocrinology. Do the doctors working in these departments first study that particular specialization and then study pediatrics or do they do pediatrics first and specialize? I am confused about this.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I was looking for a Pediatrics FAQ thread here and I couldn't find one.
 
Hiya,

Check out the pdf from the American Academy of Pediatrics for help...if you are a premed, it's a good place to start.

http://www.aap.org/profed/career.htm

Basically here's the deal:

4 years of medical school
3 years of a pediatric residency
3 years of a fellowship (optional for subspecialization, i.e pediatric cardiology, pediatric heme-onc). These fellowships all contain some blocked time for research.

Home this helps!
~Crazy