Pedo Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KY2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where a list of pedo externships can be found and if you can do it as a second year.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also looking for this material.

(and I think externships are *typically* reserved for D3/D4 students, with a sprinkling of acceptances for students inbetween their D2 and D3 years)

It's pretty rare to do an externship after 2nd year and be able to do anything, but you should talk to john mink, 2007. Go on the pedo van if you want to do pedo, you will do more SSCs than you can shake a stick at. If you want to do some sort of extern type thing in pedo, you will need to call the programs because there are no formal externships like in oral surgery. The smartest thing I think is to talk to the program director of pedo at your school and see what they recommend. www.aapd.org has a list of all the programs and that is a good start.
Emily

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the list for all Pediatric Dentistry residencies. This website is pretty useful, you can click on individual residency and it will give you more information about each residency such as contact info and how much it cost to attend.

With the contact info, email them, I can bet that every one of those residency can offer you an externship. Externships in Pedo are not widely advertised as OMFS residencies, but they're there. You just have to call or email and set something up.

Good luck.

http://www.aapd.org/training/

Try to go through your school. UNC has a lot of them set up and we go through our school...I will be going to Children's National in DC for a month this summer and then to a rural one in NC (where I will have my own operatory, assistant and see a full roster of pedo pts for 1 month!).

Sounds like you have a great summer planned out...just out of curiousity, for your month in DC, are you going to be treating patients?

kdsdds said:
Sounds like you have a great summer planned out...just out of curiousity, for your month in DC, are you going to be treating patients?

Not that I know of...the new residents will have just gotten there so I think we will be tagging along w/ them to lectures, presentations, treatment etc. Not sure if we actually will pick up a handpiece or not.

DcS said:
Try to go through your school. UNC has a lot of them set up and we go through our school...I will be going to Children's National in DC for a month this summer and then to a rural one in NC (where I will have my own operatory, assistant and see a full roster of pedo pts for 1 month!).
My school has nothing for 2nd years and I have emailed about 10 schools so far that say the say thing. Are you a second year by any chance?

DcS said:
Not that I know of...the new residents will have just gotten there so I think we will be tagging along w/ them to lectures, presentations, treatment etc. Not sure if we actually will pick up a handpiece or not.

For liability reasons most residencies won't let you do much, if any, treatment. It will pretty much be shadowing. It would be a good idea to spend a few days at programs you may be interested in to get your face known and get a feel for the program, but don't plan a few weeks trip cause you'll be dissapointed. There may be a few out there that let you work, but your best interest is to find something that is associated with your school.

KY2007 said:
My school has nothing for 2nd years and I have emailed about 10 schools so far that say the say thing. Are you a second year by any chance?
When I did the pedo van externship with Mink between 3rd and 4th year a 1st year came along to assist. If you haven't already asked him, I would try to go. Great experience even if all you are doing is sucking spit.