KY2007

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
213
1
Status
Does anyone know where a list of pedo externships can be found and if you can do it as a second year.
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
I'm also looking for this material.

(and I think externships are *typically* reserved for D3/D4 students, with a sprinkling of acceptances for students inbetween their D2 and D3 years)
 

Jediwendell

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
577
15
Status
It's pretty rare to do an externship after 2nd year and be able to do anything, but you should talk to john mink, 2007. Go on the pedo van if you want to do pedo, you will do more SSCs than you can shake a stick at. If you want to do some sort of extern type thing in pedo, you will need to call the programs because there are no formal externships like in oral surgery. The smartest thing I think is to talk to the program director of pedo at your school and see what they recommend. www.aapd.org has a list of all the programs and that is a good start.
Emily
 

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2001
3,339
26
Longitude 80.0W Latitude 40.44N
Status
Non-Student
Here is the list for all Pediatric Dentistry residencies. This website is pretty useful, you can click on individual residency and it will give you more information about each residency such as contact info and how much it cost to attend.

With the contact info, email them, I can bet that every one of those residency can offer you an externship. Externships in Pedo are not widely advertised as OMFS residencies, but they're there. You just have to call or email and set something up.

Good luck.

http://www.aapd.org/training/
 

DcS

damn the red baron
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2002
825
4
Visit site
Status
Try to go through your school. UNC has a lot of them set up and we go through our school...I will be going to Children's National in DC for a month this summer and then to a rural one in NC (where I will have my own operatory, assistant and see a full roster of pedo pts for 1 month!).
 

kdsdds

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
11
0
Status
Sounds like you have a great summer planned out...just out of curiousity, for your month in DC, are you going to be treating patients?
 

DcS

damn the red baron
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2002
825
4
Visit site
Status
kdsdds said:
Sounds like you have a great summer planned out...just out of curiousity, for your month in DC, are you going to be treating patients?

Not that I know of...the new residents will have just gotten there so I think we will be tagging along w/ them to lectures, presentations, treatment etc. Not sure if we actually will pick up a handpiece or not.
 
OP
KY2007

KY2007

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
213
1
Status
DcS said:
Try to go through your school. UNC has a lot of them set up and we go through our school...I will be going to Children's National in DC for a month this summer and then to a rural one in NC (where I will have my own operatory, assistant and see a full roster of pedo pts for 1 month!).
My school has nothing for 2nd years and I have emailed about 10 schools so far that say the say thing. Are you a second year by any chance?
 

Jediwendell

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
577
15
Status
DcS said:
Not that I know of...the new residents will have just gotten there so I think we will be tagging along w/ them to lectures, presentations, treatment etc. Not sure if we actually will pick up a handpiece or not.
For liability reasons most residencies won't let you do much, if any, treatment. It will pretty much be shadowing. It would be a good idea to spend a few days at programs you may be interested in to get your face known and get a feel for the program, but don't plan a few weeks trip cause you'll be dissapointed. There may be a few out there that let you work, but your best interest is to find something that is associated with your school.
 

Jediwendell

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
577
15
Status
KY2007 said:
My school has nothing for 2nd years and I have emailed about 10 schools so far that say the say thing. Are you a second year by any chance?
When I did the pedo van externship with Mink between 3rd and 4th year a 1st year came along to assist. If you haven't already asked him, I would try to go. Great experience even if all you are doing is sucking spit.