pedo, GPA, NBDE 1 & 2 scores

Started by IChick
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IChick

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
Does anyone know what is considered a "favorable" applicant for pedo as a specialty? I've heard mixed things about it. Some say it's more about the personality/interview and some say it's just as competitive as ortho/proths etc. I got my NBDE 1 scores from this past summer. Passed in the solid 80s. Debating if I should retake (REALLY don't want to) or if it's "good" enough. I know there will always be more "favorable" applicants with better scores but at least I know if I even stand a chance with this score and should just buckle down and retake it.

Thanks for any input!
 
Don't stress so much about your grades. Pedo is definitely a more competitive specialty than what it used to be, but so is ortho and endo. You will always hear anecdotes of people who got into those programs on slightly above average scores/rank/grades. The key thing is to bring all you got to your applications.

Geez, why am I even responding to this. Questions like this could be answered if we just took all these associated threads, made a book, and sold it.

Anyhow, there are programs that will only look at top guns (UW, St. Joseph's, etc.). But, there are always those programs that aren't so competitive, and look at clincal experience and extra cirriculars more. In other words, if you're above average you have a shot. If you want numbers, I can't give them to you. If you want a story about someone I know, let's just say they're not the strongest with Board scores (though they rank well), and that person has a strong chance at getting into top pedo programs.

The choice is yours, but if I were in your shoes I'd keep my high 80's score and try to nail my remaining classes, clinic grades, and Part 2.
 
Hi all,
Does anyone know what is considered a "favorable" applicant for pedo as a specialty? I've heard mixed things about it. Some say it's more about the personality/interview and some say it's just as competitive as ortho/proths etc. I got my NBDE 1 scores from this past summer. Passed in the solid 80s. Debating if I should retake (REALLY don't want to) or if it's "good" enough. I know there will always be more "favorable" applicants with better scores but at least I know if I even stand a chance with this score and should just buckle down and retake it.

Thanks for any input!

What is "solid 80s?" High 80s? Mid 80s? I'm no expert on pedo (i personally think that pedo is highly over-rated these days), but I'd say you should probably retake if you don't have a 86. Good luck:luck: .
 
Last year at my school pedo matched residents with averages of NBDE I 86, GPA 3.27.
But I also know that at least one of the residents had serious connections, which appear to be far more important that scores.