Peds and Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mytirf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MSIII coming back after a PhD. I am truly interested in basic science research but also like particular aspects of clinical care, especially critical care (of the limited amount I've seen). I also love kids and have been a little depressed in regards to adult medicine. Can anyone give me some advice regarding options for pedi residencies in critical care/anesthesia and which ones are available for fast-tracking/short-tracking. Also how easy is it to integrate a pedi residency/position with basic science research?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm MD/PhD entering back to 4th year and going into peds! (We do 3rd year before PhD) I know that CU offers a fast-track program (former grad went there). I plan to do Pedi and Medical Genetics, which is quite research friendly. Have you looked at FRIEDA yet?

There are a couple of options for people who want to fast track through residency and fellowship and do research-they are designed for people in your situation (PhD, definately wanting to do a fellowship). You can get more info at www.abp.org. In general, you do residency in 2 and fellowship in 2. You don't have to apply before you start residency, but you'd want to make sure any program you apply to is supportive. I do clinical research, so my situation is a little different, but there was a great variety in program's willingness to support my ongoing research interests. At one program I was told repeatedly that residents in that program were not able to do research (scratched them off quickly!). Where I am now, there's a push for residents doing research (especially basic science, because there's overall a dearth in pediatric physician-scientists), and they were extremely supportive of my doing some research (mostly after internship, when I'll have one afternoon per week of "protected" research time instead of a second clinic). If you like actually working with patients I'd recommed PICU over anethesiology-you do some of the same procedures (Conscious sedation, intubation), but you are far more involved in the care of the children, and of course you get paid much less for it :). I'd think there would be more research possibilities as well. Plus, anesthesia is it's own residency, where in peds you could change your mind and do something else if you don't like PICU (there are many specialties in peds that use basic science research heavily: ID, genetics, nephro, endo, etc. I can PM you if you'd like more info on my program specifically.

notstudying said:
You can get more info at www.abp.org. In general, you do residency in 2 and fellowship in 2. .

Hello:

I strongly agree that the combination of pediatrics and basic science research is one that is very much in short supply and makes for a great career. Although only you can decide if you want to do anesthesiology or pediatrics, it is true that these are very different training pathways. I believe that in most Children's Hospitals, critically ill infants and children are primarily managed by pediatric-trained, and critical care (or neonatology) subspecialty-trained doctors, not by anesthesiologists. Anesthesiologists may have a larger role in post-op and other locations. I am not sure about the 2 and 2 stated above though. I have never heard of being able to do both pedi residency and a fellowship in less than 5 years and a perusal of the detailed description http://www.abp.org/abpfr.htm (look at the table on the bottom of the page after following the link to "New subspecialty training requirements") also seems to show a minimum of 5 yrs to finish both.

I also would encourage those who do not have extensive research experience but are interested in research to look at the newly created "accelerated research" track. It still takes 6 years but now you do a 2 and 4 plan so you can do less general peds and more fellowship research time. this track was just approved for residents interested in academic pediatrics starting their training on or after July 2004 and very importantly does NOT require pre-approval by the American Board of Pediatrics, although of course it does require approval by your residency program!

Regards

Oldbearprofessor