Peds-->Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mailee88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting my peds residency in a couple of weeks...AHHHH...at CHOC (children's hospital of orange county)...still pretty sure I want to switch to anesthesia next year. can anyone give me some tips of what to do during my intern year in peds? when should i start contacting programs? should i try to do an elective maybe at UCI? talk to the anesthesia dept at CHOC? since I'm at a freestanding chidlren's hospital without any university affiliation, this could be a little difficult...any help would be great! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

mailee88 said:
Starting my peds residency in a couple of weeks...AHHHH...at CHOC (children's hospital of orange county)...still pretty sure I want to switch to anesthesia next year. can anyone give me some tips of what to do during my intern year in peds? when should i start contacting programs? should i try to do an elective maybe at UCI? talk to the anesthesia dept at CHOC? since I'm at a freestanding chidlren's hospital without any university affiliation, this could be a little difficult...any help would be great! thanks

Definitely do any anesthesia electives you can, but do them as early as possible as you will want to try and get some letters out of that rotation. Contact the programs now to find out what each program's time frame is for offering advanced spots and to get your name on the radar. If you don't hear back from a program you are interested in, I would call to make sure that you make contact and generally get the whole ball rolling by at least late August, early September. You will likely be outside the match so programs can offer their positions at any time.