Peds Applicant with no peds electives

Started by CreativeMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CreativeMD

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I apologize for the neurotic questions but I was wondering what the general consensus was of how I would be viewed by pediatric programs without having taken pediatric electives. I have had such a difficult time deciding what specialty to choose. In my 4th year i decided i would pursue internal medicine and so took all internal med electives. I have since graduated, decided that i would be most happy in pediatrics and do not have the opportunity to take peds electives now. Do you think I would be taken seriously from pediatric programs?

I have good grades, board scores and decent LOR's and currently pursuing a certificate in public health practice from Johns Hopkins School of Pulic Health. I have delayed my residency due to my indecision.

Any input would be appreciated...best of luck to all of you! 🙂
 
Hello,

Yes, I am replying to my own question...I spoke with a pediatrics program director from a NY program I am applying to and he said a lack of pediatric electives should NOT be a problem, assuming everything else looks good.

I wanted to post the answer in case anyone else may be having the same problem.

Good luck to all!
 
I have a friend who matched to a combined plastics/surgery program without having done a plastics elective. They asked him about it repeatedly at his interviews. Of course, he's pretty darn smart.