Peds cardiology research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower18

Master of Naps
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! This may be a silly question but I'm not sure who else to ask, so any advice is helpful :)

I'm an MS3, and I'm really interested in peds cardiology (I've been exploring other specialties and subspecialties but I keep coming back to congenital heart disease -- I still have an open mind, but right now that's where I see myself).

I have a published project and am working on another project right now in congenital cardiology, but both are with adult congenital faculty and the patient population for both projects are young adults with congenital heart disease. Is that okay for peds cardiology purposes? Is it still considered to be research within the field, even though it's not exactly the same population? I don't think I'm interested in doing med-peds or even an adult congenital fellowship after peds cards, but both of these research projects have just really appealed to me anyway and I like the adult congenital cardiology faculty at my institution.

I will continue with my current project either way, just curious as to how these projects will be viewed when applying to residency and fellowship since the patient population is generally >18, and if I should try to make my next project peds-specific. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any (published) project is gold at your stage in the game. It will help tremendously in your residency apps (especially at academic centers) and ACHD is the fastest growing subspecialty within pediatric cardiology (we now have more adults with congenital heart disease than children in the US). Don't worry about your study population not being pediatrics...work on the projects that you are passionate about with the people you like working with. It's obviously paying off.

Siverhideo
(peds cards fellow at academic center)

To have done this as a student is beyond adequate. In general, any project as a student is understood that interests change, but this so close to your target that it's nearly a bullseye.

To optimize it's impact, do the usual stuff in terms of presenting and publishing.
When you go to interview for peds residencies, tell them that youre interested in cardiology and see if they'll make one of your interviewers a cardiologist. Some places in their attempt to sell you on their program really want to match your interests. Then you can discuss with them your work and how you're ready to start working on a project more specific to children.

Awesome, thanks guys! That's a definite relief. I'm submitting a couple peds cards case reports this month and then working on this project, so maybe I'll talk to my PI about conferences we can submit any of those things to so that I can make sure to get some presentations under my belt too in addition to just the pubs. I will definitely let residency programs next year know that I'm interested in cardiology as well, because it'd be wonderful to go to residency somewhere with an awesome peds cards department!

Thanks again :)