peds cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsid

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Peds + cards = 6 years ... does that include interventional ... fixing pda's, asd's, ect? Or is there an additional year or something for interventional?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I was told by my peds card professor, it is another 1 to 2 years for peds interventional cardiology, but it depends on the center/hospital at which you will be practicing in terms if you can do some interventional procedures without the extra time. On the safe side, I would say that you need the additional 1 to 2 years to get certified in Interventional Ped Card.

pedsid said:
Hey everyone,
Peds + cards = 6 years ... does that include interventional ... fixing pda's, asd's, ect? Or is there an additional year or something for interventional?

After 3 years of cardiology fellowship, you are able to do diagnostic cath only, meaning you can look at the structure of the heart or look for pressure/O2 gradients across valves/chambers, etc. But you cannot intervene and fix things.

Most programs will allow an additional year of fellowship to become certified in interventional cardiology, which will allow you the ability to do interventional cardiac cath. You can also do 1 year fellowships in other things such as echo, electrophys, congenital heart disease, fetal cards, etc to give you further training in these modalities.