Peds Cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lefty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of peds numbers are you guys getting in your residencies? In particular how many peds hearts are you seeing? How about in fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do any peds hearts, but did do a bunch of cool cases and a lot of bread and butter. Ended up with 200 cases in 2 months. I'll probably end up doing another 2 months before I'm done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom line: go to a residency that has no peds fellows. THen you will not need a fellowship just to do some of the peds cases. I didn't have any peds fellows in my residency and finished with just about every type of pedi case you could imagine under my belt. I did around 20 pedi hearts and a number of other cases like TE fistulas, pyloric stenosis, diaphragmatic hernias, crani's, etc.

Stay away from programs with fellowships.

All our peds hearts are done by crnas, which is fine by me. But some past residents who were going on to peds fellowships were denied the opportunity to do these cases and were a little bit pissed about it. Otherwise we get plenty of peds - healthy and sick.

All our peds hearts are done by crnas, which is fine by me. But some past residents who were going on to peds fellowships were denied the opportunity to do these cases and were a little bit pissed about it. Otherwise we get plenty of peds - healthy and sick.

That's nonsense! CRNA's doing peds hearts? Ridiculous...certainly would not fly where I did my residency. You should DEMAND that residents do these cases, not nurses.:mad:

I'd leave that program!

That's nonsense! CRNA's doing peds hearts? Ridiculous...certainly would not fly where I did my residency. You should DEMAND that residents do these cases, not nurses.:mad:

I'd also recommend that you post he name of that program so that others know to avoid it like the plague.

I'd also recommend that you post he name of that program so that others know to avoid it like the plague.

I did 6 months at Childrens Hospital in New Orleans during my residency. Absolutely loved it.

Great hospital, great anesthesiologists, cuppla of which are still there (Stan Hall, George Koclanes). Don Smith was an attending of mine at Tulane when I was there and now he's at Childrens. Great guy as well.

Any New Orleans residents should maximize their time there. You'll learn alot, do a ton of cases to-the-point where kids become routine to you.

And you'll enjoy it at the same time.

I did 6 months at Childrens Hospital in New Orleans during my residency. Absolutely loved it.

Great hospital, great anesthesiologists, cuppla of which are still there (Stan Hall, George Koclanes). Don Smith was an attending of mine at Tulane when I was there and now he's at Childrens. Great guy as well.

Any New Orleans residents should maximize their time there. You'll learn alot, do a ton of cases to-the-point where kids become routine to you.

And you'll enjoy it at the same time.

Now thats good information.