Peds Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p1ggy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your step 1 score is a bit low for some of these places; hopefully you can overcome some of that with a great step 2 score

I think a lot will come down to how impressive your research is perceived where you interview and how strong your letters are. Your best bet is probably if your home school is one of those places that you mentioned, as you have your best shot to build a relationship with the faculty there who may be willing to go to bat for you.

It's absolutely fine to have those places on your list as your top choices--and unlike some other specialties, I do think that peds programs in general take a more holistic look at their applicants--but it's also good to hear that you are applying broadly. You will almost certainly match somewhere, and chances are it will be somewhere academic, even if some of those places you named might be reaches.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
It won't, provided that the comments and your letters are good. I had a close friend match at a top academic program with a pass. Again, Children's National, Pitt and Nationwide may be reaches, but that was always going to be the case--if you apply broadly, you should still match.

Thanks. What programs do you think I have a good shot at in the Northeast, OH, and MD/VA regions?

Not to hijack the thread but what's considered a "great" step2 score anyway?