Peds Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chronicangina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I’m a 3rd year going on 4th year applying pediatrics, and it’s been hard to get someone to tell me which programs i would be competitive for, was hoping to get some advice here. A ballpark estimate would be just fine!

Stats:
Mid tier school
Masters degree
5/7 Honors: peds, Ob, surg, IM, Neuro
One research poster before med school, as well as thesis for my masters
4-6 work experiences pre med school
6 volunteer experiences during school, 1 long term at an underserved clinic since starting med school
URM Male
Step1 p, haven’t taken step 2 yet
2 leadership positions at med school clubs
Current mentor for 2 students

Any insight would be great, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you can aim for top programs mixed with some safeties. My school which is low tier and had trouble matching people into top IM programs easily matched many into top peds programs. Cast a wide range

A lot probably depends on step 2, tier of school, and what proportion of students get honors at your school. You can almost certainly get a look from the “very good” programs (thinking CNMC, nationwide, UTSW, etc) but if you were hoping for Boston/chop/TCH then even in peds they would probably want you to knock step 2 out of the park and have a little more research.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot probably depends on step 2, tier of school, and what proportion of students get honors at your school. You can almost certainly get a look from the “very good” programs (thinking CNMC, nationwide, UTSW, etc) but if you were hoping for Boston/chop/TCH then even in peds they would probably want you to knock step 2 out of the park and have a little more research.
Do preclinical grades play a significant factor here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.