peds derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derma11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current derm resident, and was thinking of applying to pedi derm. It seems hard to get a "real" grasp of it though, since all the pedi derm attendings gush about their field.

I've heard that salaries in pedi derm takes a hit compared to general derm, but does anyone have any hard numbers?

Also - anyone with thoughts of doing pedi derm fellowship vs. just trying to see a proportionately larger number of pedi patients in my future general derm clinic? I understand the value of getting pedi derm trained and board certified if working in academics, but other than academics, what are other advantages (and disadvantages) or doing pedi derm fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm curious about this too, especially if you aren't planning on going full-time academics, what would be the advantage of the fellowship aside from of course more training.

I've heard that salaries in pedi derm takes a hit compared to general derm, but does anyone have any hard numbers?
The SPD did a survey in 2008, which showed an average salary of $203,727 for a full-time pediatric dermatologist, They further broke it down by practice setting - $284K average in private practice (though only 6 were surveyed), compared to 176-232K in academics. The report is pretty interesting, you can see it in full here:
www.pedsderm.net/pdfs/SalarySurvey2008.pdf

For comparison's sake, MGMA's 2008 data showed an average of $368K for derm as a whole. The 2008 AMGA survey showed an average of 300-45K. It's not ideal having data from 2 different sources, but it's all I found in my cursory search.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the input! I wasn't aware of the SPD survey, so it's a great resource.

Any comments of advantages of doing peds fellowship? vs. just trying to see a higher proportion of peds pts in your practice?

There isn't much advantage to doing a fellowship if your ultimate goal is to just see a lot of pediatric patients, even if you hope to practice in a place like Seattle, DC, NYC, LA, or Chicago. Most patients are solely concerned with whether you earned a board certification and whether you have a solid local reputation; it's very possible to market yourself to the daughters and sons of the wealthy without 'wasting' a year in a fellowship. That said, I'm only a premed and can only share what I've observed from family members who've gone through the process.

Thanks for all the input! I wasn't aware of the SPD survey, so it's a great resource.

Any comments of advantages of doing peds fellowship? vs. just trying to see a higher proportion of peds pts in your practice?
Personally, I think it boils down to your personal interests. The fellowship is really only worth it if you're uber passionate about genodermatoses and designing propranolol protocols in an academic setting. I think there's a reason why the overwhelming majority of fellowship-trained peds derm folks are in academics.

If you're happy seeing bread & butter cases in private practice, then I don't think the extra training is worth it.