peds elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRSTEPHI27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any hospitals that offer peds electives to a third year? Or even a subI?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DRSTEPHI27 said:
Does anyone know of any hospitals that offer peds electives to a third year? Or even a subI?
Thanks

I did a SUBI in Austin, in my 3rd year. If you have a month of in-house peds you can do it whenever you want.

I also did an elective in peds er at Lutheran General in Chicago at the very beginning of my 4th year (most people were still 3rd years the month I did it, my school was just ahead). There are lots of places you can do electives in peds at the end of your 3rd year, so long as you have the requirements met.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas Childrens Hospital with over 400 pediatric beds and every single specialty is represented there. you also have ben taub general hospital within 200 yards walking distance if you want a more county like experience. i highly recommend texas childrens though. what a hospital. pretty incredible place, really.

I'm not sure about electives specifically in the third year, but if you follow the link that Blade28 provided above, you can pretty much contact any medical school and apply for an elective in their children's hospital. Do you have a specific children's hospital in mind? I know that most of them offer electives through their partner medical schools.

A word of warning, though - depending upon when you want to complete the rotation, the deadline to apply may be looming ahead. Many of the applications are annoying in their requisites, requiring a letter of support from the dean of your med school, verification that you've completed all required rotations for the elective, immunization records, etc.

Good luck.