Quantcast

PEDS EM fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me4peds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
If I'm interested in going into Peds-EM after completing a residency in Pediatrics, is it necessary that I go into a residency program with an EM fellowship? Since having contacts is important for fellowships, how would you make those contacts if your program doesn't have Peds Emergency attendings?

dlung

Postprelim intern oranges
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
me4peds said:
If I'm interested in going into Peds-EM after completing a residency in Pediatrics, is it necessary that I go into a residency program with an EM fellowship? Since having contacts is important for fellowships, how would you make those contacts if your program doesn't have Peds Emergency attendings?

You might actually get a better answer from the Peds forum... the process is a little different going into Peds EM from the Peds side instead of from the EM side...

My impression is that it's the same as getting into any other fellowship. Contacts help... research helps... electives help... but mostly it'd be your overall track record as a resident, your program director/other important faculty's recommendations, and your interview... I dunno. I'll let you know when I'm applying for fellowship in a couple years...

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
me4peds said:

Peds EM fellowships after completing a Peds Residency are separate from the Peds EM fellowships after completeing an EM Residency. There are actually more Peds EM fellowships offered for pediatrics residents than for ER residents.

It isn't necessary to go to a residency where there is a Peds EM fellowship program. As with other fellowship programs, one of the most important factors in obtaining a good fellowship is training at a well respected residency program (regardless of the presence of a Peds EM fellowship).