Peds ER fellowship vs. Adult ER residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

diamonddoc

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I'm a peds PGY1 and am interested in ER. I have two routes I can take: Do a peds ER fellowship (PGY 4-6) and limit myself to working in a peds ER with less pay than adult ER docs make. Or, I can do a general ER residency (PGY 4-6) and be able to cover adult ER's and feel very comfortable, with my peds background, covering peds ER's as well. Any benefits to either of these routes?

Also, should I do an ER fellowhip/residency is there any way to keep that long-term relationship you'd have in general peds, but doing ER? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
 
if you do a peds er fellowship after a peds residency, i beleive that limits you to working in those ERs that have a dedicated peds section.

(someone please correct me if i am incorrect)

if you are intersted in EM, then you might want to consider doing an ER residency, followed by a peds fellowship after EM. (not many programs, though). but this way, you are not limited in which ERs you can work in

hope this helps.