Peds ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightowl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a fourth year med student interested in Peds ER. It seems like there are two routes to get there, either peds-> peds ER or ER-> peds ER. I've heard that the ER -> peds ER is less competitive, but I'm curious if finishing a fellowship via this route will afford the same work opportunities/flexibility once you're finished with training? I heard that ER trained was considered inferior and was limiting, but after looking at some fellowships, realized that some were willing to take EITHER peds or ER trained, for the same fellowship. Anyone out there know the scoop?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am currently a fourth year med student interested in Peds ER. It seems like there are two routes to get there, either peds-> peds ER or ER-> peds ER. I've heard that the ER -> peds ER is less competitive, but I'm curious if finishing a fellowship via this route will afford the same work opportunities/flexibility once you're finished with training? I heard that ER trained was considered inferior and was limiting, but after looking at some fellowships, realized that some were willing to take EITHER peds or ER trained, for the same fellowship. Anyone out there know the scoop?

hi - This issue is covered extensively from all sides on both the ER and pedi forum regularly so you might search out some of the threads. It is a contentious issue at times and I'll stay out of it except to ask the question, "Do you want to ever see adults again?"

That would be the bottom line for me, but others will have strong opinions and often do about issues of board certification options, clinical and academic practice opportunities, research, etc related to these two paths. Good luck with your decision.

What about doing both a Peds and EM residency? I think I came across that once a few years ago in my first run thru med-dom.

Members don't see this ad :)
The combined program Arkansas is talking about is available at the University of Arizona, University of Maryland and Indiana University (not totally certain about #3, definitive on #1 and #2). It is 5 years and you are then boarded in EM and Peds separately, however (for mostly political reasons, from what I hear, and some certification requirements) you CANNOT board in Pediatric Emergency Medicine after finishing the combined program.

I heard that ER trained was considered inferior and was limiting

Depends on whether the person you are talking to is Peds trained or ER trained ;)

...after looking at some fellowships, realized that some were willing to take EITHER peds or ER trained, for the same fellowship.

Many fellowship programs will accept applicants from either Peds or EM. The EM applicants must complete two years of fellowship training; the Peds applicants must complete three years.

...you are then boarded in EM and Peds separately, however you CANNOT board in Pediatric Emergency Medicine after finishing the combined program.

Here's the way it stands: if you completed training in both EM and Peds (whether a combined program or two separate residencies) prior to January 1, 1999, you are still eligible to sit for the Peds EM subspecialty boards (see this article from the ABEM website). So anyone graduating from school now and interested in completing two residencies or a combined residency will not be eligible for subspecialty certification, unless they also complete a fellowship.

There are pros and cons for all three (or four) paths. I am a third-year peds resident applying through ERAS again for an EM residency -- not a fellowship. I arrived at this decision by realizing that I wanted a strong background in pediatrics (not just emergency pediatrics), but also wanted to be versatile enough to work in a community ER outside of academia. Many smaller areas do not have the patient volume to justify hiring an EM physician who can't see adults, too. But that's just me :)

Depends on whether the person you are talking to is Peds trained or ER trained ;)

Many fellowship programs will accept applicants from either Peds or EM. The EM applicants must complete two years of fellowship training; the Peds applicants must complete three years.

Here's the way it stands: if you completed training in both EM and Peds (whether a combined program or two separate residencies) prior to January 1, 1999, you are still eligible to sit for the Peds EM subspecialty boards (see this article from the ABEM website). So anyone graduating from school now and interested in completing two residencies or a combined residency will not be eligible for subspecialty certification, unless they also complete a fellowship.

There are pros and cons for all three (or four) paths. I am a third-year peds resident applying through ERAS again for an EM residency -- not a fellowship. I arrived at this decision by realizing that I wanted a strong background in pediatrics (not just emergency pediatrics), but also wanted to be versatile enough to work in a community ER outside of academia. Many smaller areas do not have the patient volume to justify hiring an EM physician who can't see adults, too. But that's just me :)

Sounds like a good plan. I'm envious.

Excellent breakdown of the situation. I'm also a third year peds resident applying looking to do Peds EM, however I elected to go the fellowship route. I know that I want to practice at a children's hospital and have no interest in seeing anyone older than 21. I may also decide to do some academics. Good luck with the upcoming interview season. If you (or anyone else) wants to discuss insights on various programs, feel free to PM me.