Peds Fellowship options and post fellowship compensations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stone Cold

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently pursuing my peds residency in NYC and will be applying for fellowships down the lane. So far, I shortlisted PICU, NICU & Cards but more inclined towards PICU & NICU. The nature of my husband's work and family limits us to the following cities

NYC
San Fransisco
Chicago
Salt Lake City
Dallas

Even if he switches firms, we'd still have to end up being in larger cities where physicians typically are paid less than their rural counterparts. On that note, which peds sub-specialty pays the highest and also what does the compensation look like. I came across this report on comparably.com which shows an average peds intensivist salary with the top 86% making close to $800k.
1584330445216.png

How true are these reports and what compensation would I be looking at?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You sure you are a second year? Because your choice seems to be entirely based on money and not really desires because while there is some crossover, those are very different fields. Which of those fields do you want?

Have you done rotations in all of those things? What is your benchmark? In my area, NICU pays the most with PICU second in straight salary, but EM pays significantly more per hour with a whole lot less hours leaving much more opportunity to make significantly more. Are you looking at total possible compensation, total yearly pay, do you want academic medicine or private practice, what do you want your career to look like, etc? I guarantee there is so much more going into that $800k than what you are imagining a PICU career looks like.

Are you sure you are a resident? This question appears to be similar to an undergrad talking about their passion in ortho, neurosurgery, or interventional cardiology.

And those cities are likely going to be based in academic centers which is likely going to be closer to the $211k side of the curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You sure you are a second year? Because your choice seems to be entirely based on money and not really desires because while there is some crossover, those are very different fields. Which of those fields do you want?

Have you done rotations in all of those things? What is your benchmark? In my area, NICU pays the most with PICU second in straight salary, but EM pays significantly more per hour with a whole lot less hours leaving much more opportunity to make significantly more. Are you looking at total possible compensation, total yearly pay, do you want academic medicine or private practice, what do you want your career to look like, etc? I guarantee there is so much more going into that $800k than what you are imagining a PICU career looks like.

Are you sure you are a resident? This question appears to be similar to an undergrad talking about their passion in ortho, neurosurgery, or interventional cardiology.

And those cities are likely going to be based in academic centers which is likely going to be closer to the $211k side of the curve.
My bad for framing the question focusing more on comp but yes, I am a resident and though my initial choices included Cardio & EM...now I'm more inclined towards PICU or NICU. I'm talking to multiple physicians in my program to decide my career path. Also, I'm and IMG and intend to move back eventually to my home country down the lane where Peds EM or Cardio is kinda non-existent which is also one reason to opt critical care. I wanted to know what the total comp looks like and a breakdown would also be helpful. Living in a big city, it's likely going to be academic in a hospital system like NYP, Mt Sinai, Kaiser etc

Peds residents from my program fetched around $250-290k for hospitalist positions in upstate NY and suburbs of Dallas/Austin. Again, my choice is definitely not based on comp but I only wanted to know what the salaries look like for PICU/NICU or Cards ICU

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am currently pursuing my peds residency in NYC and will be applying for fellowships next year. So far, I shortlisted PICU, NICU, Cards & EM but more inclined towards PICU & NICU. My husband works in the finance industry and we have limited options on where he could have a fruitful career which limits us to settling in one of the following cities for the next 10yrs atleast

NYC
San Fransisco
Chicago
Salt Lake City
Dallas

Even if he switches firms, we'd still have to end up being in larger cities where physicians typically are paid less than their rural counterparts. On that note, which peds sub-specialty pays the highest and also what does the compensation look like. I came across this report on comparably.com which shows an average peds intensivist salary with the top 86% making close to $800k.
View attachment 298682

How true are these reports and what compensation would I be looking at?
Ha. Those numbers aren’t even close.

I'd look at Glassdoor if you're wanting more accurate numbers.
Glassdoor is showing a wide range...typically ranging from $200-475k

For instance, this position at Cedars-Sinai in LA shows 119-441k
1586159087543.png

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 1.01.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 1.01.57 PM.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: 1 user
There's a separate tab for salary ranges. It'll look more like this:
Spoke with a few PICU/NICU folks in my program recently and all of them make >300k being in an academic setup closely followed by EM and Cards (not in any particular order). I also live in NYC which is the among the lowest paying regions. Recently, a cousin of mine took up a Peds hospitalist position right outta residency in upstate new york (~2hrs from NYC) for $230k but typically in NYC, she got offers for around $190-220k

Spoke with a few PICU/NICU folks in my program recently and all of them make >300k being in an academic setup closely followed by EM and Cards (not in any particular order). I also live in NYC which is the among the lowest paying regions. Recently, a cousin of mine took up a Peds hospitalist position right outta residency in upstate new york (~2hrs from NYC) for $230k but typically in NYC, she got offers for around $190-220k
>300k seems on the high side, but I guess would make sense given the COL in NYC? I think if you go into those fields expecting to start out with a salary around 300, you'll be disappointed (especially in academics).

Now, I'm only a 2nd year resident, so what do I know, but I think a realistic expectation is something closer to 200-230k, at least while starting out (with the exception being going straight into private practice NICU).

Reactions: 1 users
Well this was a weird thing to stumble upon:

Hi,

I'm an IMG, currently a PGY-1 in pediatrics residency in NY. Throughout my rotations, I figured out cardiology is what really interested me but I eventually wanted to move back to my home country where peds cards opportunities are almost non-existent. Due to the Covid-19 saga, I've been posted on the adult side over the past several weeks and I really started liking it. Is it possible for me to get a PGY-2 spot in IM for next year (2021) so that I can eventually get into adult cards?

Also, how competent is it for someone with an IMG background to get into a decent interventional cards fellowship?

Reactions: 4 users
>300k seems on the high side, but I guess would make sense given the COL in NYC?
Traditionally, it's the opposite for doctors to what it's for other industries. The more remote you go, the better your comp is
North East typically pays less than flyover or even west coast states in that regard

>$300K? That doesn't sound right. But what do I know? I'll follow up with what my offers are for NICU on the west coast in 2-3 years

Average academic NICU starting = ~$210k. PP will be more.

If a good salary is important to you, forget academia. It's that simple.

Reactions: 1 user

And what exactly is wrong with taking in opinions and advice from other folks in the community? If I feel transferring to IM isn’t worth it, I’d still end up doing a peds fellowship right!!

Since your question seems to be “how can I make most money I don’t care how,” I’d say your best bet is for your husband to be involved in a banking scandal but be either too high up or too low to get jail time, IMO

Reactions: 1 users
And what exactly is wrong with taking in opinions and advice from other folks in the community? If I feel transferring to IM isn’t worth it, I’d still end up doing a peds fellowship right!!
In August you posted that your husband was an academic Cardiologist (coincidentally also very focused on reimbursement and salary info). I feel he could also give you good advice about IM, although now it seems he has quit practicing and is working in finance...

Well, if you're looking to make bank, leaving peds to pursue adult interventional cards is certainly a path to do it

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I think healthcare Instagram influencers are making their way onto SDN.

It depends on what you want to do on your everyday work. Do you enjoy working with only babies, sometimes very sick babies? If so, then do NICU. Do you like to help parents feel at ease if they cannot touch their newborn child until after they are out of their enclosures?

Do you like trauma to the head, very sick children, sometimes young adults on ventilators? Do you like helping parents navigating through palliative care? If so, think PICU.

NICU and PICU are just such different fields that I don't think you should justify your decision based on the compensation. You will be miserable if you go into a specialty for the money, and not actually taking care of patients you are interested in.

If you are solely about compensation to make this decision, why not stay as a general pediatrician and open your own practice?

In August you posted that your husband was an academic Cardiologist (coincidentally also very focused on reimbursement and salary info). I feel he could also give you good advice about IM, although now it seems he has quit practicing and is working in finance...
I noticed the OP hasn't responded since this post. The internet can be a humbling place when you get caught in a lie :)

Reactions: 2 users