Peds in Michigan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHans

mentally challenged
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious as to some of the differences in the osteopathic programs up there if anyone has any information to share ... specifically Sparrow and Henry Ford Bi-County programs. I've heard that CHM doesn't take DO's but apparently the back way around it is through the Henry Ford program ...

Sparrow looks like a great hospital but I can't really find alot of information on it other than the EM program. :)

Thanks for any information!

Members don't see this ad.

Curious as to some of the differences in the osteopathic programs up there if anyone has any information to share ... specifically Sparrow and Henry Ford Bi-County programs. I've heard that CHM doesn't take DO's but apparently the back way around it is through the Henry Ford program ...

Sparrow looks like a great hospital but I can't really find alot of information on it other than the EM program. :)

Thanks for any information!

www.stjohn.org

they have a really good peds program and take a lot of DO's

IMO, forget the DO peds residency.
again, just my opinion. you'll get better experience at a larger allopathic program.

Well I was looking at Henry Bi-county for the access to CHM which is really a hard program for DO's to get into (from what I hear) as well as I'm looking for programs that have subspecialty links specifically in neonatology. It seems that many of the good peds programs since they are so competitive take very few DO's. Whether that is because there aren't DO's applying for those spots or they just aren't as "competitive" I'm not sure. But the top three places I'm looking at (Michigan, Colorado, and Tennessee) all see to have elite programs with NO DO's accepted or in current fellowship/residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrHans,
I'm a DO and a resident at CHM. I would be happy to talk to you about the program and the differences in going through the straight allopathic side and the osteopathic side. CHM is very accepting of DOs so dont listen to what you have heard :) The DO side is not really what I would call a "back door" it is very much part of CHM and you have to be selected by both the allopathic and osteopathic commitees and you only spend a total of 3 months at Henry Ford. Contact me for more info!

For what it is worth, during my peds rotation at CHM, I saw a few DO's as Pediatric Residents. It definitely isn't impossible.

Good luck.

If I remember correctly, when I was a medical student at Wayne, there were pediatric residents that were DOs.

Thanks for the responses. It does make me feel better. It seemed all the information on the website pointed only to MD residents and I couldn't find one DO resident listed or on staff ...