Peds Interview Impressions 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pais.iatros

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The peds interview impression threads are outdated. With the interview season kicking into high gear, I thought we could create a new one. To maintain anonymity, I would be happy to post anyone's impressions if they PM them to me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
didn't look up the specific format, but here are my impressions about UConn:

I wasn't particularly impressed on my interview day, to be honest. I thought I'd like it more than I did. The program director seems to be a really great guy who advocates for his residents. But my sense of the program overall was that it was not terribly rigorous and some of the residents seemed blasé.

The children's hospital is nice, and they have a nice cafeteria with good food. Facilities were nice and new. The interview is the weird "behavioral" one which is atypical for pediatrics. It felt very stilted and awkward.

The resident who led the tour told us "yeah, the third years don't like each other, but that's okay because they're leaving." It seemed an odd thing to say especially on an official tour--maybe OK to say during resident social, but not so much as the official "face" of the residency. But hey, maybe bonus points for honesty. And most of the residents I spoke with (not the third years) seemed nice and friendly with each other.

They don't seem to have a lot of structured teaching time. No morning report, once weekly noon conference, and I think only one 2-hour block of protected teaching time each week. Compared to many other programs I saw, they really don't seem to place much of an emphasis on formal teaching, which seemed troubling. The chief resident also mentioned that they really didn't have that much structured education time. I think that was the main deal-breaker for me, especially since some of the residents didn't seem particularly interested or invested in noon conference...

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews winding down (finally. only one left!) and starting to seriously think about what's important to me (and I need some sort of structured break from cooking/cleaning today). I have found these helpful in the past, hope someone finds them helpful in the future!

My general priorities are: city, big children's center with a big catchment area> smaller center, somewhere where I would be supported if I wanted to do research, somewhere that people seem happy.

I stopped caring about different schedules a long time ago, so I don't have details on them. My take is that there are requirements to become a board-certified pediatrician, and the programs have to give you 7 months of essentially elective time. I don't really care about night float or call enough to make that an important part of my decision. I will comment on it if there is something VERY different about one program or another.

Program Name WashU/St. Louis Children's

Interview day: Social at a pizza place (delicious) the night before, pretty well attended by residents. Morning report, chat with PD, took you on rounds briefly, 2 interviews, coffee at the end.

Faculty: I don't really know what I am supposed to say in this category, but... friendly? Felt like it would be easy to jump into some kind of research.

Housestaff: All seemed genuinely happy and to genuinely enjoy spending time with each other. Could talk about things other than medicine/the program. Morning report poorly attended (9 residents).

Program:
- PD seems supportive of letting residents do what they want in terms of rotations, global health, was less supportive of research pursuits, which I found surprising.
- I have written down "ample opportunities for moonlighting".
- The outpatient portion of the curriculum is actually in private practices, which was a pretty unique aspect (apparently have won several awards for this portion of the program)

Facilities:
- I think they're building something new? Overall hospital was nice but felt a little old and dark and cramped.
- Catchment area is ~200 mi radius, they said they see problems from different regions (midwest, south, west) and from different environments (suburban, urban, country) because of their location.
- Fellowships in basically everything

City: Good cost of living, forest park seems neat, there is a metro system. I am not from the midwest and had never really been to the midwest and was shocked at how flat everything was. St. Louis was kind of small for me. One of my immediate post-interview impressions that I wrote down was "Everyone kept using the presence of a whole foods to prove it was a city". Per one of my interviewers, not a super diverse city.

Misc: apparently multiple computer systems, transitioning to EPIC in 2018. This was a long time ago at this point, but I also wrote this down: "This resilience thing may be mandated by the ACGME, but if someone tries to make me meditate or do mindfulness exercises or yoga I will scream". Maybe it felt to me like the resilience stuff was a little too required?
EDIT: They provided a hotel!

In sum-- What I wrote down after this was: "Overall, I liked it and the residents seemed happy but wished it was in another place".

Pros: Friendly, top-notch children's hospital and residency program. Faculty seemed supportive of resident research. Outpatient portion in private practice is pretty cool and more real-world.

Cons: PD did not seem supportive of resident research, and this will likely make it fall very low on my rank list. Not a fan of St. Louis.

Last edited:
Ok I did not enjoy the previous format so I'm going more freeform.

Program Name: Seattle Children's/University of Washington

I was really impressed with Seattle.

Pre-interview dinner at a place that had pot-pies and drinks. There was a scheduling snafu my interview day, and none of the residents knew the interview dinner was happening, but my understanding is that once they figured out this had happened a ton of residents literally ran into the restaurant. Insisted on paying us back for any food we had purchased before residents got there in cash, and took anyone who was available out for drinks after the interview, so I'd say they went above and beyond for making up for it.

Interview was largely based in a conference room, had welcome with APD and chair, chief residents went over the program, had two interviews. Was very impressed with morning report and noon conference--very well attended, resident-driven, and challenging (both in terms of subject matter and asking residents to explain their answers/rephrase questions). LIked that they try to provide a healthy lunch for the residents.

In terms of the program, most rotations at Seattle Children's with some at Harborview Medical Center in the second/third year and NICU at UW. Children's is beautiful and is the children's hosptial for Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho (interestingly, Colorado also claims Montana and Wyoming as part of their catchment area, so I wonder how they decide where to go). Second years spend 2 months at what sound like totally amazing WWAMI sites (housing provided), where they are integrated into pediatric practices (call schedule, resident panel of patients, etc). In terms of continuity clinic, do not do 1/2 days every week--do 1 full day during outpatient rotations and none during inpatient rotations. This seemed nice, but I was unclear how much continuity you have if there are months at a time where you're not in clinic. You also have a sort of "coach" that you meet with during residency, that observes you teaching, and helps you develop as a pediatrician.

Everyone seemed very competent, friendly, and happy--I was there on a Friday, which apparently is the day all the teams dress up in costumes. Program leadership also seemed very friendly and supportive. Faculty were very friendly and approachable--one of my most chill and nice interview experiences.

I was in Seattle during the beginning of fall and it was beautiful. And sunny one day (but rainy the two others). Seemed like a fun but compact place that would be pleasant to live, but the scant sun in the winter and almost constant cloudiness are a little daunting. Maybe a light box? Would definitely need a car to live there, rents are more expensive than Midwest/Southeast but more affordable than Chicago/Boston/NYC/Philly.

In sum-- Probably my favorite interview, though not sure where to rank it 2/2 several small negatives.

Pros: Amazing program that seems to have really thought about how to educate residents, friendly, large rural catchment area, WWAMI rotation, Seattle is a cool place

Cons: Weather is a bit daunting, cost of living, distance from family, weak department in one of my areas of interest

Program name: Hopkins

Hopkins was fine, but it just didn't really click with me.

Pre-interview dinner at a resident's house, very well attended. Had fun chatting with the residents and it showed off what you can afford in Baltimore on a resident salary.

Interview was based in a pretty room overlooking all of Baltimore. Had welcome and program overview with PD (skipped morning report, I was disappointed), went on rounds, 2 interviews. Did not really interact with chiefs, and I started to realize that I'm more impressed with programs where the chiefs run the show on interview day. I thought noon conference was informative, interesting, and had an emphasis on being evidence-based. Lunch was local (healthy-ish) food. My second interviewer was kind of strange and name-drop-y and I came away with a negative impression. On rounds, I thought it was odd that the senior decided to bring in 15 people in suits into a contact precautions room without asking the parent first (who returned from breakfast to find 1000000 strange people in her 3 y/o's room). Coming from a less formal place, I found it strange that everyone wore white coats and found rounds fairly stuffy. On my tour, the resident (who admittedly was interested in PICU) was pretty dismissive when posing the "see the clinics or more time in the ICU" question, and I felt uncomfortable expressing my desire to see clinic. They should either add more time to the tour or figure out a way to not belittle their less favorite experiences.

In terms of the program, residents rotate both at Hopkins and St. Agnes, which is a community hospital, which I thought was a big plus. Residents run rounds as seniors (without the attending) and seem to be the primary decision makers in a a lot of high-acuity situations and come out competent. I found the chief residents to be great and was neither here nor there when it came to the PD based on our interactions with her throughout the day. It sounds like there are a lot of funded global health experiences and opportunities to improve language skills (not just spanish).

Baltimore is definitely not for everyone, but I enjoyed visiting--had yummy crabs and clams and stayed in a neat hotel. I did notice while driving to the hospital that the blocks change rather quickly and did feel uncomfortable ~1 block from my hotel. Rents seem to be affordable on the resident salary and I think Baltimore could be a fun city to get to know.

In sum: Not for me, seems like a solid place.

Pros: lots of resident responsibility

Cons: stuffy

Program name: Hopkins

Hopkins was fine, but it just didn't really click with me.

Pre-interview dinner at a resident's house, very well attended. Had fun chatting with the residents and it showed off what you can afford in Baltimore on a resident salary.

Interview was based in a pretty room overlooking all of Baltimore. Had welcome and program overview with PD (skipped morning report, I was disappointed), went on rounds, 2 interviews. Did not really interact with chiefs, and I started to realize that I'm more impressed with programs where the chiefs run the show on interview day. I thought noon conference was informative, interesting, and had an emphasis on being evidence-based. Lunch was local (healthy-ish) food. My second interviewer was kind of strange and name-drop-y and I came away with a negative impression. On rounds, I thought it was odd that the senior decided to bring in 15 people in suits into a contact precautions room without asking the parent first (who returned from breakfast to find 1000000 strange people in her 3 y/o's room). Coming from a less formal place, I found it strange that everyone wore white coats and found rounds fairly stuffy. On my tour, the resident (who admittedly was interested in PICU) was pretty dismissive when posing the "see the clinics or more time in the ICU" question, and I felt uncomfortable expressing my desire to see clinic. They should either add more time to the tour or figure out a way to not belittle their less favorite experiences.

In terms of the program, residents rotate both at Hopkins and St. Agnes, which is a community hospital, which I thought was a big plus. Residents run rounds as seniors (without the attending) and seem to be the primary decision makers in a a lot of high-acuity situations and come out competent. I found the chief residents to be great and was neither here nor there when it came to the PD based on our interactions with her throughout the day. It sounds like there are a lot of funded global health experiences and opportunities to improve language skills (not just spanish).

Baltimore is definitely not for everyone, but I enjoyed visiting--had yummy crabs and clams and stayed in a neat hotel. I did notice while driving to the hospital that the blocks change rather quickly and did feel uncomfortable ~1 block from my hotel. Rents seem to be affordable on the resident salary and I think Baltimore could be a fun city to get to know.

In sum: Not for me, seems like a solid place.

Pros: lots of resident responsibility

Cons: stuffy

Thanks for doing these! I'd love to read more if you are willing.

It's funny how my Hopkins impression was so much different than yours. The chief ran much of the orientation and I also ended up doing an interview with the other chief. Tour resident was also very accommodating and was very friendly (almost too friendly if that's possible). The rounds actually felt less academic than I wanted and I was disappointed with the noon conference. Almost the exact opposite of your experience!

Also, mind expanding on the few negatives you found with UWash?

Thanks for doing these! I'd love to read more if you are willing.

It's funny how my Hopkins impression was so much different than yours. The chief ran much of the orientation and I also ended up doing an interview with the other chief. Tour resident was also very accommodating and was very friendly (almost too friendly if that's possible). The rounds actually felt less academic than I wanted and I was disappointed with the noon conference. Almost the exact opposite of your experience!

Also, mind expanding on the few negatives you found with UWash?

Haha I did interview with one of the chiefs who I really enjoyed, but I think the rest rubbed me wrong in general.

Re: Seattle, the main things are the cons I listed (Weather is a bit daunting, cost of living, distance from family, weak department in one of my areas of interest). I don't want to specify department, but basically it's pretty obvious at many institutions who I could work with to continue my current research and clinical interests, and it was more unclear at Seattle.

Posted anonymously:

---------------------------------------
Stanford: This seems like a truly amazing place if you are interested in academic subspecialty pediatrics. The hospital seemed very much a quaternary care referral center where you would see every complex care subspecialty issue that you could think of. The schedule was very flexible to allow you time to explore your subspecialty and outside interests of choice (ie research for fellowship). It did seem that this strength of subspecialty came at the expense of the general pediatrics experience at times (small hospital without much bread and butter), although they are working to improve this weakness (new rotation at community hospital ER for example). Overall intensity seemed to be in the high medium range with an average of ~8 patients. The faculty that I was in contact with seemed very open to teaching and were overall friendly, however I did hear you run into some faculty that are very full of themselves. The PD herself was absolutely amazing. She had a very motherly personality and seems to have dedicated her career to medical education innovation. I see her as the main strength of this program. The other program directors did not seem as super, but not terrible. The residents themselves were some of the most insightful and impressive that I saw on the trail, yet still very supportive. It made for an environment where everyone was pushing each other to do their best. I liked the academic concentrations in combination with the mentoring system. I was not a fan of palo alto as I prefer urban areas and it was very expensive. However, there were quite a few things to do within an hours drive. Overall I was very impressed and will be ranking highly

Pros: Great PD and residents, strong subspecialty and complex care exposure, innovative curriculum

Cons: Suburban and expensive, poorer general pediatrics

University of washington: This struck as an intense program that churned out truly excellent and fearless clinicians. Patient load was HIGH (someone told me average ~12) with a combination of subspecialty/complex care and bread and butter gen peds. Interns seemed swamped and I was told there wasn't as much time that some would like for teaching/research. However the process seemed to generate residents who really knew their stuff, especially after doing the rural WWAMI program. 2nd/3rd did seem to leave more time for outside interest, and I was very impressed with the resident projects. As I said above the residents were overall very impressive, however they did seem a bit cliquey to me. This impression may be off base as I was only there for 24 hours, however I really did NOT like my resident interviewer which just made me feel out of place. The faculty however seemed incredibly supportive and were very nice. Two of the PDs came by and expressed interest, the chairmen gave a quick nice talk and the coordinators were very friendly. Faculty interviews were great. As far as area goes, Seattle is ok. I prefer more urban areas, and this city just lacks that feel but still comes with the downsides such as terrible traffic and high expenses. Weather just seemed disgusting. If hikes are your thing then this is the place to be I guess, but not really for me. Overall I liked this program and I think the training would be excellent, just did not get that good fit feel from here.

Pros: Intense clinical training in both gen/subspecialty peds, supportive PD and faculty, residents seemed to really know their stuff

Cons: area, residents seemed cliquey, higher stress intern year (can also be a positive)

WashU: The PD introduced the program by saying "I am going to tell you how we are just like everyone else" which really set the tone for the whole day. Nothing really stuck out to me as great here. It did seem like a medium intensity program where you get good clinical training, but no other effort was made to really get you good opportunities in other areas which very much left it on you. The residents did seem to know their stuff but were not quite as amazingly impressive as some of the other programs that I visited. The residents I interacted with seemed to either be married with kids or very party hard singles with no in between overall making the class feel not very close. There were some cool planned activities, though some residents seemed to view them as a chore. The area surrounding the hospital was actually pretty cool and felt safe, however the rest of the area was not great. I can see where St. Louis gets its rep. The hospital itself was alright, and they were planning on expanding it to move L+D closer to the NICU. Faculty seemed alright, PD was overall very friendly. Overall I think this is a pretty good program that just doesn't really stick out in anyway. I wouldn't mind ending up here, I just think there are other programs that I would like better.

Pros: Good clinical training without much stress, area around medical center is nice, $80/hour moonlighting

Cons: St. Louis, not many outside activities, class didn't seem close

UCSF: I am very conflicted about this program. Part of me wants to love it and rank it very high, part of me wants to rank it very low. I'll start with what I saw as the positives. It seemed like a very intense clinical program where the faculty and staff went out of their way to ensure that you would become a strong general pediatrician. You also got great subspecialty/complex care exposure. Being at multiple hospitals seemed like it gave a very versatile experience. The resident morning conference was very impressive and the residents seemed to really know their stuff. The PLUS residents really added to the discussions and seemed to improve resident education on social issues. The curriculum plans seemed to really allow you to jump deeply into one outside interest of your choice and seemed like it would support my interests well. Obviously lots of opportunity for research. The staff seemed nice and were dedicated to your learning. Now for the negatives. The biggest here is the logistics. SF is INSANELY expensive. It seemed to me it would be harder to live here than both palo alto and new york, and finding apartment would be quite a task. Every resident I talked to went over their adventure of finding an apartment on craigslist or some shady internet deal OR talked about their hour long commute. The public transport seemed non-existent which combined with very high traffic and EXPENSIVE parking made it seem like getting to work would difficult. This in combination with the multiple hospitals seemed STRESSFUL.. I asked some residents about this issue and alot of them said they take ubers to and from work (lol WHAT). I'm sure once you figure everything out in your routine these would be less of an issue, but I just really don't want to deal with these things. The closeness of the residency class did seem to be pretty variable based on how much effort each class put in since they are all rotating at different sites. The PD was nice, but I could see him not being quite as supportive as I would like in a PD. As I said above, the pathway/track curriculum did seem like it would fit my interests well, but I could see it being constrictive for people with interests that do not fit a certain mold.

Pros: Intense and quality clinical education, impressive residents and faculty, pathways allow you to get great experience in one outside interest

Cons: rent/transport, variable closeness, possibly constrictive curriculum

Program UT-Southwestern

This is one where I apparently wrote nothing down afterwards because travel got crazy but I really enjoyed it.

Hands down, one of the most fun pre-interview dinners I went to, because the residents were so fun. This was one of two places where at some point during my experience at the program, I was almost tearing up laughing. One of the gen peds attendings was also eating with some of her colleagues at the restaurant--she came over and sat with us for a while because one of the interns had been on her team that week. Could tell that there's a great relationship between residents and faculty; they were talking like they had been BFF's forever, but when she left the intern said "yeah, I met her on Monday". So in general got the impression that UTSW is a welcoming and friendly place to be.

They also put you up in a pretty nice hotel in downtown Dallas--per the PD, he has deliberately also chosen this hotel because it's on the DART, so applicants can see that there is, in fact, a pretty decent public transportation system.

In terms of the interview day, many programs are running together at this point, but I specifically remember being very impressed with the morning conference, which was run by a senior resident. Apparently, each senior does a conference like this, and it's videotaped so it can be used in the future as part of a teaching portfolio. At any rate, it was the typical "interesting case with subspecialists in the room to comment" kind of format, but it generally came off as quite polished and engaging. The hospital is gigantic and Dallas is gigantic, so see tons of bread and butter + rare things. Also seemed to be ample opportunities for global health (global health elective before traveling +large local refugee population) and research.

Two interviews with faculty members, one of which may pose a "difficult" question--and they warn you a lot before this that they don't care if you get the answer right and just want to see how you think, because apparently they've gotten negative feedback about this approach in the past. Lunch at a very delicious faculty club. End the day with a nice talk from the PD about his journey to where he is now and things he thinks are important in choosing a residency program. Accompanied by legit fresh-baked cookies and milk. It was cute. Overall came off as a friendly and supportive place.

In terms of Dallas, seems like a very spread out place where you definitely need a car. Also, at the beginning of this process (because cost of living matters to me) I made a chart looking at salary and cost of living, and Dallas + the salary at UTSW wins the places I interviewed at by far (like even significantly more affordable than St. Louis, Houston, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati). I'm a little wary about moving to Texas, but the residents did describe Dallas as being a relatively diverse place (can get global food) and when I point-blank asked my interviewer if my gay sibling would be comfortable visiting me he gave a pretty good answer. Also apparently a very impressive performing arts center downtown.

In sum: It seemed like a great place, not a huge fan of Dallas, but I'm honestly debating ranking this above some "fancier" programs because it's still got the huge hospital, huge catchment area, and research, but also has very normal fun people.

Pros: Awesome residents, very affordable city, huge hospital and catchment area

Cons: Dallas? Potentially less "fancy" than other places but graduates seem to have solid fellowship matches.

Program: Cincinnati Children's

I liked Cincinnati the program, but not Cincinnati the city.

Pre-interview dinner was a sit-down dinner at a brewery, attended by about 5 residents. Got the sense from the dinner (and from the interview day) that most residents are married and live in houses in the suburbs. They put you up in a beautiful hotel in downtown near some of the parts of town they recommend checking out (more on that later...).

On the interview day, was there for a well-attended, well-done grand rounds on a topic I did not find interesting. Which is fine, but I was falling asleep. This was followed by a meeting with the chair, who made an effort to tell each applicant about aspects of Cincinnati that complemented their interests. I was kind of put off, however, by her emphasis on rankings--I don't remember exactly what was said, but it was mentioned that a few departments were not in the top 10 this year and she said something along the lines of "we are going to fix that". My interviews were largely conversational, and I found everyone very friendly and got a very supportive vibe from the program directors. We did not attend noon conference but ate the delicious food, and the lecture appeared to be engaging and useful.

In terms of the hospital, it's HUGE and they consider themselves the "community hospital for the area". They specifically mentioned that they have a substantial immigrant population from Somalia, and also take care of rural, urban, and an international referral population due to their location and reputation. As with many places I looked at, there are a lot of fellows, but there is an opportunity here to do rotations at a true community hospital affiliated with Cincinnati. One thing I found strange is that residents are not allowed to place lines in the PICU (I'm guessing there was a safety event) and need to undergo special training to be allowed to intubate in the ED (justified by studies showing success is correlated with experience, but still seems to be potentially detrimental to resident education). It seemed like they allowed a lot of customization of the mandatory 6 months of elective time (one example was seeing patients with AKI in the PICU in the morning, working on research in the afternoon), and seemed very supportive of resident research.

Cincinnati. They talked a lot about how Cincinnati is undergoing a big rejuvenation, and specifically discussed the Over-the-Rhine area as somewhere that was up-and-coming. My experience in that area was: seriously delicious food and beer after my interview, but when I tried to walk one cross-town block to a park they had also talked up, I legitimately felt like I was going to be attacked by someone on the street, and decided to go back to within one block of the hotel. Before my interview, I had also tried to walk towards the zoo on a main road through the area they advertised the packet I received on arriving at the hotel, and again, after about 5 blocks, felt that I should get off the street and into a cab. A large portion of the downtown area is, unfortunately, boarded up storefronts/houses with broken windows. I felt like I had somehow had a very unlucky experience, but later found out someone at my school last year decided to rank Cincinnati very low because they literally saw someone get shot when they visited for their interview. So. Great program, surprisingly mildly terrifying city.

In sum: Great program, but I'm honestly struggling with whether to rank this above or below my (significantly lower-ranking) home program due to the location.

Pros: One of the top peds programs, option to rotate at more community-type hospital, huge research opportunities

Cons: Cincinnati the city, most residents seemed to be Caucasian married people (I have no problem with Caucasian married people--this 1/2 describes me--but it's nice to have some variety in the class)