peds neuro/devel peds

Started by julz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

julz

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between developmental peds, peds neuro and child psychiatry
It seems like there is some overlap in terms of the pathology they deal with.
For example, autism and ADD/ADHD would be dealt with by all 3???

any clarification?
 
We have a member who is doing developmental peds (Bernardo?) and hopefully will reply to your thread soon. 🙂

I suppose there is a lot of overlap in the patients that these specialties see, especially with patients who have multiple issues related to extreme prematurity and syndromic stuff. However, they definitely have different issues that are pretty unique to the field. For example, Child Psych will see and treat patients with Schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder. Peds Neuro deals with seizures.

As for autism and ADD and such, I imagine there is some overlap. Child Psych sees a lot of ADD/ADHD kids. I don't think (?) Developmental Peds does that.

Hopefully other members with more specific knowledge will be able to clarify better than I. 🙂
 
in my experience, dev. peds will deal with ADD/ADHD, learning disabilities, developmental disabliites, and autism, much more so than peds neuro does. Kids with complicated syndromes that involve such disabilities as well as seizures or other neuro symptoms could overlap between the two, but peds neuro doesn't have much to offer for purely developmental/cognitive issues.

kids with ADD/ADHD can be seen by either child psych or dev peds - they are more often seen by child psych because there are so few developmental pediatricians out there. My child has ADD, anxiety and learning disabilities and has been seen by both but I find the dev pediatrician much more helpful.