Peds NP taking home $9000/month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

notinkansas

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was watching Suze Orman on Sat night Oct 24 and one of her callers was a pediatric NP who reported her TAKE HOME pay as $9000/month. The woman also reported she was single. Lives in MN as I recall.

WTF??? Though I'm not in pediatrics, I've been reading that it's becoming difficult for MD to get even low six figures pay as a starting salary out of residency.

How is this possible???
 
That sounds somewhat incredible but as a PNP in a large childrens hospital I am making low 6 figures.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lots of pa's/np's make 100-150k working in specialties. avg for em/ortho/surg/derm/neurosurg is 110-125kish after a few yrs of experience.
it's likely the docs in that np's group make significantly more as midlevels typically make around 1/2 the salary of a doc in any given specialty, slightly more(maybe 2/3) in primary care.
one of the pa's in my group(not me) makes 200k with overtime.
 
So much for the NPs argument that they're filling the gap left by the shortage of primary care physicians...what a joke!

I'm fairly certain that NNPs have never claimed that they are trained to do their job due to a shortage of primary care physicians. There are lots of types of NPs just as there are lots of types of physicians. Although one group of NPs may be trained for a particular task or reason, that does not describe all of them. The NNP movement as well as other pediatric specialty NPs (and this IS the pedi forum, not a general forum) has a very different history and rationale than NPs interested in primary care.

I'm guessing that it's okay for you that moonlighting pediatric residents/fellows/attendings get paid extra for moonlighting?
 
Reading this is like a punch in the gut. I'm serious.
 
sorry, I am only 15, but is 9k a month low? isnt that 108k a year? i heard pediatricians make 150k starting? or is this residency?
 
sorry, I am only 15, but is 9k a month low? isnt that 108k a year? i heard pediatricians make 150k starting? or is this residency?

No, it's high. That's the point: someone with several years less training is making just as much or more than a pediatrician.
 
if 9000 is TAKE HOME, that means before any deductions her salary is ~200,000 per year...

Many of the NNPs I know work extra shifts, more than a normal 40 hr/week... we can't assume this amount is based on a normal 40 hr/week.

And as a general pediatrician, soon to be working in a rural area, I am SO GRATEFUL for the NNPs who attend deliveries SO I DON'T HAVE TO. Pay them what they are worth. If the market didn't support it, it wouldn't happen.
 
I'm fairly certain that NNPs have never claimed that they are trained to do their job due to a shortage of primary care physicians. There are lots of types of NPs just as there are lots of types of physicians. Although one group of NPs may be trained for a particular task or reason, that does not describe all of them. The NNP movement as well as other pediatric specialty NPs (and this IS the pedi forum, not a general forum) has a very different history and rationale than NPs interested in primary care.

I'm guessing that it's okay for you that moonlighting pediatric residents/fellows/attendings get paid extra for moonlighting?

I submit this response with all due respect and deference, as I do very much appreciate the advice and insight which you consistently provide in this forum...


My point is that NP groups as a whole push for expanded scope of practice and increases in their numbers (for ALL NPs) based on the fact that they will be needed to fill the shortage of primary care docs (and peds is a part of primary care)...McClatchy (2/23, Villegas) reported, "Nursing leaders say that large numbers of" nurse "practitioners...will be needed to fill gaps in primary care left by an increasing shortage of doctors."

However, I wonder how many of them actually go into primary care specialties? I would bet that it's the same percentage as medical students who choose primary care.




Also, regarding moonlighting...I think you're comparing apples to oranges. Moonlighting after an 80 hour work week is not the same in my mind as overtime after a 40 hour week. To put them on the same playing field, you would have to pay residents "overtime" for every hour that they work over 40...in which case I wouldn't mind at all. 🙂