Peds outlook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrosenrosen

Pain Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the outlook for peds as a private attending? It seems, but of course I'm not sure, that most of the complicated sick peds cases that need a fellowship-trained anesthesiologist are going to be in your tertiary care centers. Is there much market for peds in the private practice world? I'm interested in peds fellowship, but I don't know if you get relegated to either working in academics or not really using your knowledge/skills (i.e., taking care of relatively healthy 2yr olds that anyone should be able to do). Also, people talk about how they couldn't handle the stress of peds. Is that just the day-to-day of taking care of sick and tiny kids, or is there something else to peds anesthesia practice that I"m missing? Thanks for answers in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the outlook for peds as a private attending? It seems, but of course I'm not sure, that most of the complicated sick peds cases that need a fellowship-trained anesthesiologist are going to be in your tertiary care centers. Is there much market for peds in the private practice world? I'm interested in peds fellowship, but I don't know if you get relegated to either working in academics or not really using your knowledge/skills (i.e., taking care of relatively healthy 2yr olds that anyone should be able to do). Also, people talk about how they couldn't handle the stress of peds. Is that just the day-to-day of taking care of sick and tiny kids, or is there something else to peds anesthesia practice that I"m missing? Thanks for answers in advance.

The "toughest" cases in Anesthesia are Peds. They require a good plan and execution with little/to no room for error.

Kids have their entire life ahead of them (provided you don't mess up) and the anesthetic is truly more challenging to do. The main reason the sick kids are done in our Pediatric hospitals are two fold:

1. Possible better outcomes (dedicated Pediatric staff everywhere)
2. Litigation in the community setting (sick kids)

Blade

I would also like to know if any of you private practice folks have a take on doing a Peds fellowship. I have heard that this is one particular field where the complete intrusion from CRNAs is less likely (although it does exist) because they are so complicated and no parent will let a CRNA do anesthesia on their little baby. Any thoughts on peds anesthesia?