PEDS part time or job sharing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfm67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMG with 10 + yrs. exp. in Peds in my home country. Finishing US residency this fall and now have a 2 yr. old daughter. Interested in outpatient or nb nursery.

I've heard and read from many different sources that job sharing or PT is very common in PEDS. I'm limited in location because of my husbands work - med. sized city in SE US. The first in house recruiter for one of the large systems in this city said they have no job sharing or reduced hour positions for PEDS. The other positions I'm looking at are FT as well although one did say PT may be an option in a few years.

Spoke with the young MD. in my home city who was my daughters PED during maternity leave (before I returned to residency). She works PT for the other large hospital system in my home city.

She knew she wanted to practice PT in my home city so at the end of her residency, she identified a physician at each practice in town who she might have something in common and showed up w/o an appt. with her CV. Notified the front desk who she was and that she wanted to meet with Dr. ________ . Waited until they were available (sometimes several hours) and informed them she was interested in job sharing position and asked if someone at the practice may be interested.

Do you think this is an acceptable / effective way to find a job sharing position? Any other recommendations how I might find a PT or reduced hours position?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry if my OP was a bit long-winded.

Bottom line is any advice how to find job share (out-patient) or PT coming out of residency?

My residency advisor says the in-house recruiters are not likely aware of job share opportunities and I need to network with providers in the city where I hope to practice.

If that's true ( is it?), then would following my daughter's pediatrician's advice be a reasonable way to go about networking coming out of residency?

Thank you again for any feedback.

Last edited: