Peds Residency App Advice-need to stay in NC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligirl583

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks-
I'm a medical student at Duke currently. I need to stay in the Triangle for my peds residency for personal reasons, and was wondering if anyone had experience applying in just one geographic area/ any tips on how to maximize my chances for matching here

If it's helpful, here are my stats:
Preclinical: All Ps (P/F curriculum)
Clinical: HP: Surg and IM. Honors: Peds, Psych, Neuro, FM, Rads, OB
Step 1/2, etc: Not yet taken, but planning to study as hard as I can
Extras: some leadership ECs in the arts, will graduate w/ a Masters in a humanities field

Would appreciate any insight- thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a third year or fourth year?? You seem to have done all your core clerkships but don't have Step 1 or Step2. Are you applying next year and doing your Master's currently?
Advice: Rock Step1 and 2

nevermind...duke med has a very different curriculum than what i'm used to

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that if there's something you really really want, write a separate personal statement. You can assign different PS to different programs. So have one that says you strongly prefer to stay there for personal reasons (or as much detail as you feel comfortable giving ). Then a more generic one for other programs. I have a friend whose husband cannot move, so she's calling in a favor from a faculty member who knows her well to make a call before rank lists are due but after interviews. Not sure how common or effective that is, but she wants to try. Also, make good contacts with your home institution, since most tend to favor their own med students. Just some thoughts. Best of luck!

Thanks for the responses. At slade, I'm a current third year. (at duke, the clinical year is 2nd year, and the research year is 3rd year). It'll take me two years to do my humanities degree, and I'll finish my 4th year in 2015. I'll definitely try to rock my step exams!

Judging by your clinical grades so far I'd say you would do well in away rotations at 2-3 of your top local choices and those can really get your foot in the door.

1) NC rocks

2) GO HEELS!! Chapel Hill is my hometown...this is my reaction whenever I see anything Duke-related. ;)

3) As someone who suicided the pediatrics match, I would say that if you have a personal, strong connection to a particular program then MILK IT. Do away rotations, make yourself well-known (in a good way!) to the residents and attendings, and let the PD know that they are your one and only. I don't recommend suiciding, but if you have a strong case for it and can really sell it, then it can work. It really helps if you can get in with the residents at the program you like. Your interview day is more about "Can you play nice in this sandbox" than anything else so if they already know you and like you, that will really work in your favor. Of course if they really know you and don't like you, that doesn't so much work in your favor.

Good luck! :luck:

1) NC rocks

2) GO HEELS!! Chapel Hill is my hometown...this is my reaction whenever I see anything Duke-related. ;)

3) As someone who suicided the pediatrics match, I would say that if you have a personal, strong connection to a particular program then MILK IT. Do away rotations, make yourself well-known (in a good way!) to the residents and attendings, and let the PD know that they are your one and only. I don't recommend suiciding, but if you have a strong case for it and can really sell it, then it can work. It really helps if you can get in with the residents at the program you like. Your interview day is more about "Can you play nice in this sandbox" than anything else so if they already know you and like you, that will really work in your favor. Of course if they really know you and don't like you, that doesn't so much work in your favor.

Good luck! :luck:

You got me intrigued. What does it mean to suicide the match?

You got me intrigued. What does it mean to suicide the match?

"Suiciding" is when you rank only one program.

I've SERIOUSLY considered it, but decided to look around a bit just to be 100% I'm where I want to be... and to get a feel for other places as well as start looking at fellowship places.