Peds Residency from Caribbean School

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by LBishop, Jul 25, 2006.

1. LBishop

LBishop Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is it possible to get a good peds residency coming from a Caribbean school such as SGU or Ross? Would top programs like CHOP even consider you even if you have the grades and USMLE scores?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jocg27

jocg27 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No one seems to be answering you, so I'll try, although I don't really know that I'm correct...

I'd be inclined to say no...It is possible to enter a very good peds residency, but my guess is that the handful of very elite programs in the country, the kind of places you're talking about like CHOP, won't give you the time of day. Not bc of the Caribbean school, either...I think there are American schools one would have a hard time getting to CHOP from.

It kind of seems to me to get into an elite program tied to an ivy, it helps a lot to have gone to med school at another elite, ivy or near ivy school. These places are like clubs in that way - they very much take their own. That's my impression as an outsider, although I clearly may be wrong. Maybe pimping your way through med school and absolutely slamming the boards can do it for anyone? Anyone have other thoughts?

4. notstudying

notstudying Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I think you'll have hard time at a CHOP or BCRP coming from a caribbean school; they definately seem to come from the top tier universities (not just the ivies-my medical school always has a few matching at the CHOPs and such). As for a "good" program (as always there are a variety of opinions of what makes a program good), from what I've seen there is a definate tier of caribbean schools. Ross seems to be the top (we take someone from Ross every few years, but I haven't seen any other caribbean schools represented) then SGU, then the rest-this is ONLY an opinion and may be way off the mark, but there you are. We seem to take about 1 resident per year from a non-US program, but it's variable and seems to be predominently Europeans who do audit rotations here. That being said, the quality of US peds residencies runs deep, and you can get an excellent education at most programs, especially if your interest is in primary care peds rather than fellowship.

5. 14022

14022 Unregistered Abuser
    5+ Year Member

Well, here is the flip side. If you do outstanding at any school, even a caribbean school, you will get an interview almost anywhere in any specialty. The rad onc chief resident at Hopkins a few years back was a Caribbean grad. I think if you do outstanding at a Caribbean school, it will definately be better than doing average at an average US medical school. So you have to decide (which is very difficult to do) if you will have a better chance of doing well at a caribbean school. Caribbean schools typically have their curriculum centered around "higher-risk" students in terms of passing boards. So they have frequent examinations to keep you on top of the information. They teach towards the boards. Caribbean students, from what I have heard, if they put in a strong effort, they will do fairly well on the boards. If you go to a less competitive school, the competition is less and you will look better relative to your classmates and get good evaluations. Check the programs match lists and see where people have ended up.

But Caribbean schools also have clinical education at less academic medical centers in the US, making theur clinical education in medical school poorer than other American schools. It is hard to say if this will affect your chances.

Also, keep in mind that CHOP and BRCP while the best hospitals, in my opinion are not very good places to train for residency, unless you are planning for an intense career in academic medicine. They are very big programs, very fellow-oriented, and are better places to train for fellowship than residency. There are several (I could probably name 30 or 40 off the top of my head) great programs at which to train that will grant you an interview from any school if you do average. I wouldn't be concerned about going to CHOP or BRCP at this point. I went to both for interviews. I was not impressed. I didnt like the residents or the other applicants, unlike many of the other programs Trust me, as you get through medical school, you will realize more and more that prestige and rankings are pretty much BS and finding a program that fits your personality and lerning style is much much more important.

That being said, from conversations with Caribbean grads, many regret not going to a US school. Unfortunately, there is a stigma attached that may have a negative impact on your residency plans, though unfairly. If you can go to a US school, then do it. Although peds as a whole is relatively noncompetitive, why take the chance of having your options limited in the future. However, if you are deciding between the Caribbean and no medical school, then definately go to school there and work hard and do well. It will be hard for programs to pass on you if you have great grades, board scores, and evaluations.

6. LBishop

LBishop Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. My father works at CHOP (not a doctor, works in homecare) that's why I put it out there as a top program I would love to attend, though know my chances are very slim. I will be attending Ross, and hope that I will be able to atleast get interviews at good peds residencys in the northeast, that is if I do well in school and on the USMLEs. I hope that I would not automaticly be disregarded bc I am a Caribbean grad.

7. jackjinju

jackjinju Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Both SGU and Ross have match lists on their websites, so you can get a good idea what kind of position you are likely to achieve.

andrew

8. Mohel

Mohel Member
    7+ Year Member

As a chop grad...it is an amazing residency program with some of the most caring and compassionate physician educators you will ever meet. The house staff is truly a team that loves to work together, the support staff superb, and the education outstanding. The hospital goes out of its way to help you feel at home, makes you feel like you truly are integral to patient care and at CHOP you really are. The fellows are great teachers. They work with the residents to make the entire concept of family centered care shine.

They give everyone a fair chance, just be yourself.
    Good Luck

9. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

as said hopkins person, let me correct this a bit. By and larging coming from an offshore school the best grads will NOT do "better" than the average US student. There are exceptions to the rule but by and large? no. do not under ANY circumstances opt for an offshore school if you get int he US.
    The advice to "do better" by going offshore is 100% wrong. First of all, at the better offshore schools the student quality is such that you're not likely to do substantially better than a us grad. And as I say, the mediocre US person is typicaly in better shape. Plus your USMLE score is not likely to be so much better by going to an offshore school. the usmle has far more weight than your placement in an offshore med school.

Ive been involved in offshore med ed for many years now and i know from what i speak.

10. LBishop

LBishop Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I wasn't asking if it was better to do well at a Carribean school vs avg at a US school. I was asking if you are at a extreme disadvantage coming from a Carribean school as opposed to a US school if you do well at, for instance, Ross.