Peds Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonkeyMan28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you can help me out. I'm thinking about applying to Peds Residency, but not sure of my competitiveness.

Step 1: 201
Step 2: 226

All honors during 3rd year. Good amount of work, volunteer and research experiences but none specific to peds.

I'd like to apply to California, Oregon, Nevada only.

What are my chances? How many programs should I apply to? How many do you most people rank?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The 201 is a little low (is 2teens still the mean?)-- but you did much better on step 2 so that helps. And so does the all honors during 3rd year! Get some very strong letters and you have a good chance at landing interviews at some "great" programs (in the eye of the beholder)-- might be a good opportunity to take advantage of an away rotation at a reach program in order to get over the hump of step 1, if you are confident you can blow them away.

All that being said, from a competitiveness standpoint, peds is considered a little "less competitive" when it comes to just looking at board scores-- except when it comes to the prestigious programs, cutoffs may apply there. But overall, peds programs tend to look at the whole package before snapping judgment about one score, unlike the uber competitive lifestyle residencies like derm, optho, etc.

If you think you'll love it, go for it! good luck.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a US grad, but will be applying as an independent applicant next year.

I'm specifically interested in CHLA, UCI/CHOC, Kaiser LA, USC, UCLA and UCSD.

Can anyone give me an idea of the competiveness of these programs?

Unfortunately, I will not be able to do an away next year.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if you can help me out. I'm thinking about applying to Peds Residency, but not sure of my competitiveness.

Step 1: 201
Step 2: 226

All honors during 3rd year. Good amount of work, volunteer and research experiences but none specific to peds.

I'd like to apply to California, Oregon, Nevada only.

What are my chances? How many programs should I apply to? How many do you most people rank?

Thanks!
can you please tell me what book should i study for pediatrics residency

Thanks for your reply.

thanks

You'll get interviews at some of those places as long as you really do have the research (>2 publications/abstracts) and extracurriculars you mention. Do you mind expanding on those? It's hard for anyone to claim they can get all those places regardless of high their scores are so that's why I say some. Make sure your personal statement is decent and that your letters are from people who truly are there to go to bat for you and will write you a solid letter. I would also make sure your application goes out the first moment ERAS opens up and when interview requests start coming in shoot a follow-up "Very interested in your program" email to the programs which may not have contacted you yet. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply.

thanks

After having just been through this whole process my advice is actually to talk to your dean's office. If they are like mine they have an idea of where you might be competitive based on how students with your profile from your school have done in the past. My dean was pretty spot on with thinking of where I'd be likely to get interviews and where on my list might be more of a reach for me.

thanks for your replies. how many programs do you think I would need to rank to match? Which programs are the most and least competitive in California?

I have 5 publications (none are first author). They are all in another specialty.

I think that you do have a good chance at those programs. I think that as long as you get the interviews- the number of honors should really help. The top peds programs that you are applying to def value number of honors in 3rd year above anything else-- the research aspect is not that much of a big deal-just icing on the cake. The people in my class that got into UCLA all had honored at least half of their rotations and did not have that much research/none.