Peds SHELF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesauce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who took it? How is it? How did you prepare?

In general, are the clinical SHELF exams harder or easier that the basic science SHELF exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Who took it? How is it? How did you prepare?

In general, are the clinical SHELF exams harder or easier that the basic science SHELF exams?
As I recall, the peds shelf is pretty straight forward. Study the material they cover in your lectures and whichever review books you've purchased. All the questions are case-based, more or less. Be careful about spending too much time reading the full case only to get a very specific question at the end that doesn't require a full reading of the case.

I think the shelf exams are easier, but then I was never very fond of the basic science stuff to start with. Shelf exams are more clinically relevant, of course.

If you have time to do practice shelf-style questions before the exam, it will help.

Moving to Clinical Rotations as pediatrics and the pediatric shelf exam are clinical topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
the peds shelf is one of the easier ones, pretty straight foreward. i used case files, pretest, and blueprints (which admittedly sucked) and did awesome. obviously, the test is all clinical. good luck

I approached this one using only question books and I think that was a good approach.

Between Pretest and Appleton & Lange, there was nothing on the shelf I hadn't seen before.

i'm going thru blueprints peds now. did u guys feel this was significantly off target from what the shelf covered? i'm going thru the cardiology chapter and the level of detail is pretty crazy. anyone feel the same way?

the peds shelf is one of the easier ones, pretty straight foreward. i used case files, pretest, and blueprints (which admittedly sucked) and did awesome. obviously, the test is all clinical. good luck