Peds specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of the residency scale, how hard is it to get a pedo one? I'm only a d-1, so this is a tad premature, but I've wanted to do pedo for a while. Admittedly I've never actually done it, only assisted, so this desire may well change, but I was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

i have no evidence to support this except what i hear from sis (pedo) she says its keeps getting increasingly competitive as the market for pedo has increased in the last several years and the there isn't many spots avaliable as it was not a very desierable field few years ago.

anyhow it seems that program directors are noticing the demand and are increasing the spots. at vcu they increased it from 2 to 6 this past year..

Pedo is very competetive. applications at some schools have nearly doubled since last few years. ex:Ohio had 90 applicants last year and 140 this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh. And here I was hoping it'd be easier. :( Oh well. Thanks for the info!

It's much more competitive as noted above.

Also, programs are increasing the number of spots because the AAPD realizes that the number of peds retiring is very high and the demand is there.

Pedo applications have exploded. It's really crazy. Also interesting is that fact that many pedodontists are women and they work less hours per week, thereby increasing overall demand for pedodontists.