Peds step-down unit questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

I am a long-time pediatric hospice volunteer. I am making a slight change because I moved recently. I will be volunteering at a children's hospital! :)

I got my assignment this week and I will be in the step-down unit. So I know a little more about what I'm walking into on my first day, would you mind telling me more about step-down units as they apply to peds?

So I am not surprised at the things I see when I come, what sort of pathology do step-down units tend to see a lot of?

Thank you so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a long-time pediatric hospice volunteer. I am making a slight change because I moved recently. I will be volunteering at a children's hospital! :)

I got my assignment this week and I will be in the step-down unit. So I know a little more about what I'm walking into on my first day, would you mind telling me more about step-down units as they apply to peds?

So I am not surprised at the things I see when I come, what sort of pathology do step-down units tend to see a lot of?

Thank you so much! :)
Step down units are transitional care units between the ICU and the floor. The pathology depends on how busy the service/hospital is but it’s typically gonna to be mostly kids with respiratory issues who are too sick for the floor (BiPAP, CPAP, high flow cannula, trachs), kids who need closer observation (for the above respiratory reasons or abnormal neurological status) and depending on the hospital if they have a busy congenital heart disease program, closer cardiac monitoring and post/pre-operative care.

Reactions: 1 user
Step down units are transitional care units between the ICU and the floor. The pathology depends on how busy the service/hospital is but it’s typically gonna to be mostly kids with respiratory issues who are too sick for the floor (BiPAP, CPAP, high flow cannula, trachs), kids who need closer observation (for the above respiratory reasons or abnormal neurological status) and depending on the hospital if they have a busy congenital heart disease program, closer cardiac monitoring and post/pre-operative care.

This was very helpful. Thank you so much, SurfingDoctor! :)