Peds surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To go into peds surgery (or peds surg sub specialty), does one have to go through GS or peds as a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

You do a general surgery residency. Pediatric surgery is the most competitive of all surgery specialties, so most applicants do 2 years of research in addition to their 5 years of general surgery training.

Scutking,
pedssurg is actually not one of the more competative fellowships these days. The match rate is >>90% & the applicant : position ratio has drifted down to nearly 1:1. Fewer people are interested in it as a specialty & this has led to some real concerns re. what could be a pending workforce crunch - there are MANY more jobs then available surgeons.

The most competative fellowships are Plastic Surgery, Surgical Oncology, & Advanced Laparoscopy (a new growing subspecialty of general with relatively few fellowship positions as yet)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Oliver,
Hmmm... I'm not sure I completely agree with you, although I agree that Plasitcs is very competitive. There's only about 20 pediatric surgery fellowship positions available every year and I don't know of anybody getting a position without doing 2 years of research. While there are plenty of competitive surg onc and laparoscopic fellowships available, you definitely don't have to take time off for research to get a position, whereas with pedi surgery you really do.

Traditionally, your feelings re. ped surg would have been correct. However, there is a dwindling applicant pool for the field & they're in real danger (like CTVS already is) of having more spots then applicants. I think last years #'s were up a very slight amt. but the trend is a little worrisome over the last decade. Many people in the past have felt pressure to do 1-2 years if lab time for many of the subspecialty fellowships, but frequently it's becoming less & less neccessary to match. For the most selective of the ped surg fellowships, I bet most successful applicants have as you said done lab time. As you get out into the second tiers of programs, the quality (on paper) of the candidates falls a bit