peds switch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radtopedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

so I applied kind of late to peds around end of October, due to wrestling with the should i or shouldn't I switch question; I've heard back from 5 programs, top tier midwest, and one top national top 10 in texas, 4 for interview invites, 1 wait list b/c I applied late, 2 rejections BRCP and Vandy; I may be able to squeeze out 2 or 3 more interview invites (hopefully); I'm a fairly competitive applicant I think (steps 1-3 243, 252, 270) 2 LORs from pedis from med school AI, 1 from IM prelim attending, and one from IM prelim attending who is a med-peds guy; anyway here is my question, I'm applying through ERAS, how likely is it that I will match with 6-7 programs on my list given that all of these are high tier programs and I have no "safety" programs; I looked through the NRMP outcomes thing, but I'm not even sure if I should be looking at "independent applicants" or US seniors, outcome, I guess technically I should average the two categories;

and another question just occured to me: even though I'm applying through ERAS, can I technically do a pre-match? i.e. can I say I will sign a contract right now if you give me one? or is that still a no-no.
I really don't care where I go at this point, I just want to match, in retrospect should have just done peds to begin with, but alas hindsight is 20/20

any input would be useful, particularly from any attendings/chief residents or program coordinators

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Pretty sure you're in the independent applicant category. But that's an extremely broad categorization, so I don't think I'd put a whole lot of stock in the stats for matching.

2) If you rank 6-7 programs on ERAS, yes, you should in theory match somewhere. But I guess, depending on the actual ranks/cultures of "top-tier" programs, nothings a given. I know that compared to rads, peds is a cakewalk to match to, but seriously, why nothing resembling a "safety"? I mean, there are a lot of good peds programs out there that aren't your CHOP's, Vandy's, or the like, where with your scores, you'd be highly thought of...

Members don't see this ad :)
well no safeties b/c I have had no offers from them, though to be frank, I'm not sure what a "safety" is in peds, I applied to 25 programs, not necessarily the "top 25" though from my research all seem highly regarded

also I would like to go to a program where I have a more then reasonable chance of matching into a competitive fellowship a la cards or neo

can you give me an example of "safeties", to be sure a couple of the programs that I got interviews at are not Vandy/CHOP/BRCP, but in my research they appear very highly regarded and have strong sub-specialty departments and high match rates into fellowships, I guess the only mark against them is location

PM me your questions and I'll be happy to answer them! I am currently a chief resident at a mid-west peds program.

hey tatabox I sent you another PM :)

Last edited:
if there are any PDs/Chiefs on here, how do programs feel about pre-matching an applicant, is there a way to ask this question in polite conversation? a caveat is that the program I would like to ask this of is quite good and never had any trouble matching (as far as I can tell), they have expressed an interest in me and were very enthusiastic during the interview I got a nice email from the PD (solicited sort of with a thank you note) and the chair (unsolicited), I would like to stay in the area where I am right now, and it's the only program that fits this description,

any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Last edited:
If you're applying through ERAS, no program should pre-match you-- it's not like your situation is unique or you are a non-traditional applicant-- you are just applying late. So I don't know what to tell you other than, don't ask the programs you interview at to pre-match you because you will immediately put yourself in a sub-optimal chance of ranking at that program. If a program does offer to "pre-match" you outside of the ERAS match, then they are probably a suspect program and not on the list of "top" programs you are speaking of.

Examples of decent peds programs (in my area) that might qualify as pseudo safeties are places like Sinai Baltimore, Fairfax, MCV, even Univ. of Maryland might be easy for someone with your stats. If you do well enough at any residency program you can probably match in most fellowships-- hopefully you will match at your "non-safety" programs, but just wanted to answer your question and give you an idea of how things work.

hey michigan girl, I actually am a non-traditional applicant, I'm currently a PGY2 radiology resident, though I am applying through ERAS, does that change the issue at all?