Peds Textbooks Must Haves!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

calflowergirl

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone willing to share must haves books for Pediatric Residency?

Appreciate the help!
Thanks!
 
Anyone willing to share must haves books for Pediatric Residency?

Appreciate the help!
Thanks!

Honestly, I don't know that there are many "must have" books. I made it through residency just fine and the only pediatric-specific books I had were Harriet Lane (which I didn't use much), the Red Book (you will get this free when you join the AAP and you can access it online too), and Secrets. I used (and continue to use) UpToDate a LOT (I have a subscription so I can access it at home too). Pediatrics in Review is a great journal to get in the habit of reading. For board review I used Laughing Your Way to Passing the Pediatric Boards, but I would recommend waiting to buy that one until you're ready to study for boards so you can get the most up-to-date version. I guess I'd call the PREP books "must have"...but you should get those free from your program. Here's something to try--when you show up for intern orientation, ask your program if they have any extra PREP binders from the previous year's PREP curriculum. If they do you might be able to get an extra year of questions for free.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not a book hater--I love books and I spend way too much money at Amazon.com. But for medicine in general, I've found that journals, online databases (UpToDate), and selected review books are more helpful than big pediatric textbooks. Just my opinion, though! I'm sure others will feel differently, and I'm curious to hear what others think.
 
Anyone willing to share must haves books for Pediatric Residency?

Appreciate the help!
Thanks!
I agree- having a recent edition of "The Harriet Lane Handbook" handy is a good idea. There are so many web-based resources now, including full-text journals and books through many med school or hospital libraries, that the need to buy and have books isn't what it formerly was. Having said that, I would still recommend buying a text of some sort- I like the big hardbacks- to use for your individual reading and study. If you read about every patient you work up, you will find that you will have read much of a big standard text over your 3 year residency. The advantage of having a text of your own is that you can keep track of the sections that you have read (and those that you haven't) as you prepare for exams in the future. In using web-based resources, don't fall into the trap of only reviewing review articles and avoiding or ignoring original studies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad