Peds to Anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2004gasman

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Question for the wise out there. A buddy of mine originally destined for Peds recently did an Anesthesia rotation (saw the light) and wants to switch to Anesthesia with a Peds fellowship afterwards. Unfortunately, the rank lists are already in and he submitted around 5 Peds programs (no gas). He was wondering if he could do a year of Peds, then switch to gas, but I told him probably not. If he were to NOT match Peds, then he could scramble for a TY/IM med or surg spot and try to interview for gas the next year, correct?

I'm glad he decided to switch, but he may end up with a little longer road than anticipated. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure the first year of Peds would count towards the Prelim/TY requirement for Anesthesia. Some places offer a Prelim in Peds for this reason. Personally, I think doing a year of Peds would make the transition to Anesthesia more difficult. I wouldn't let this deter your friend from pursuing Anesthesia though. He should try looking for opening during his internship for the following July. If he applied during internship, he would have to sit out one year.

You can do a year of peds and have it count as your internship for anesthesia as far as I know. One program I interviewed at even had a few peds prelim spots set aside for anesthesia residents who wanted to do peds afterwards. I don't know when I would tell the PD that he wanted out though...I'll defer to someone who's been there. Before they start? Wait a few months?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can tell your friend that from what I understand, the only ABA requirement for the prelim/transitional year is that you can only do 1 month max of anesthesia. Other than that, I think it's pretty much up to you - medicine, surgery, prelim, peds, even OB. Most of course do med, surg, or prelim.

I'm not sure if the "top top" programs do this, but many programs end up offering a few spots to interns who decide to switch to anesthesia. In many respects, this is a better candidate b/c they have been in the hospital for a year and they have realized that the field they are in is not for them. So perhaps if your friend does match peds, he should see if there is an anesthesia program and knock on the director's door. That's the sort of process I have seen.

Best of luck. 15 more days!

Thanks to all who responded. I'll pass the news along to him and see if he wants to go for it.

Good luck in 2 weeks.

:thumbup:

If he dosent match then he can scramble in a prelim (im sure there will be plenty of surgery) AND a advanced anesthesia slot OR a 4year anesthesia spot (dont know what kinda places will be left this year)

Your friend can definitely get into anesthesia through peds. We have two here and we just accepted a pedi critical care fellow for 2005-2006.

Originally posted by docsleep
You can tell your friend that from what I understand, the only ABA requirement for the prelim/transitional year is that you can only do 1 month max of anesthesia. Other than that, I think it's pretty much up to you - medicine, surgery, prelim, peds, even OB. Most of course do med, surg, or prelim.

I'm not sure if the "top top" programs do this, but many programs end up offering a few spots to interns who decide to switch to anesthesia. In many respects, this is a better candidate b/c they have been in the hospital for a year and they have realized that the field they are in is not for them. So perhaps if your friend does match peds, he should see if there is an anesthesia program and knock on the director's door. That's the sort of process I have seen.

Best of luck. 15 more days!

on that note...could somebody switch out of MED PEDS a year into it? i ask this cause med peds has some weirdo requirements in terms of internship (you are technically an intern for 16 months, not 12...)

cause i might have to scaramble into a prelim and med peds is always open at the place i want to do my prelim year....peds seems to be too but might fill this year. HELP