penalties after officer training but before attending usuhs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorade848

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am currently on the waitlist at several civilian schools; however, student from these waitlists gain admission all the way from april till july, which overlaps with usuhs officer training over the summer. If civilian med schools offer me admission during/after summer training, will I be able to decline my possible acceptance at usuhs without incurring penalties? I do want to be military physician eventually, through either usuhs/hpsp/fap/direct commissioning but my top choice has been frequently shifting due to various pros n cons.

it seems that people do get off usuhs's waitlist during or after summer training and I think i heard during the interview that you are not obligated until you attend orientation in august... but i have been hearing conflicting statements lol

Members don't see this ad.

With HPSP, until the government starts spending money on you, you can get out. Since you are being called to active duty when you go to USUHS, I would suspect you are stuck when you check into officer training.

i am currently on the waitlist at several civilian schools; however, student from these waitlists gain admission all the way from april till july, which overlaps with usuhs officer training over the summer. If civilian med schools offer me admission during/after summer training, will I be able to decline my possible acceptance at usuhs without incurring penalties? I do want to be military physician eventually, through either usuhs/hpsp/fap/direct commissioning but my top choice has been frequently shifting due to various pros n cons.

it seems that people do get off usuhs's waitlist during or after summer training and I think i heard during the interview that you are not obligated until you attend orientation in august... but i have been hearing conflicting statements lol

Better off checking with someone at USUHS who deals with the signing of your contract and cutting orders. We can only speculate what the policy would be.

It's been a few years since my acceptance to USUHS but I know that you will be a commissioned officer while at training. I think that means you have signed the dotted line. If you are not sure and would rather go to a civilian school, I would not go, or at least talk to someone at the school.