Pending Misdemeanor - ERAS Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you all know someone personally who has been dismissed over a DUI?

• Yes - but had additional issues that led to dismisal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SashaDurin9653

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a rising USMD MS4/current MS3 beginning the process now to apply for residencies. However, I royally royally screwed up. I have a pending charge (not currently in the system) for an OWI misdemeanor. At this time, I have retained a lawyer; however, he does not think he could plead me down, considering that I received it in a harsh county. So I'm coming to ask for some advice; my lawyer states that I could prolong the conviction till after the submission of ERAS. But in my perspective, it would appear as if I was trying to hide it, and it would have worse consequences in the future. I 100% know that I would have to report to the licensure when it is time after graduation. I'm not trying to match at a competitive specialty; I'm highly involved with my school and have quite a few accomplishments and in honor societies. I have never ever been in trouble in the past, including speeding tickets and more. So I'm highly freaking out. Also, yes, I'm a complete idiot.... however, I'm trying to show that this event did impact me and actively trying to make a change.

Can I ask you all the following?

* Do you know people who have been kicked out of medical school for misdemeanors? (Super Important!)
* Do you all know people with OWI/DUI misdemeanors who still matched successfully?
* Would you prolong a conviction or get it over with?
* Do you all know which schools automatically throw out applications with misdemeanor-red flags?

Help please!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
You're asking the wrong questions--you need to read your student handbook, as they likely have to report to your school any time that you are charged with a crime. Especially an alcohol-related one. If you are formally charged, and you don't report to your school and it turns out that you are supposed to--THEN you will definitely get kicked out. The reason is that your 4th year rotation sites likely have some sort of policy about allowing people to work with these kinds of offenses.

So, look at your school handbook first and do what it tells you that you have to do.

Reactions: 3 users
I think your best option is to be forthright with this infraction on ERAS, don't try to "hide" it.

In your PS, own it, apologize for it and indicate what you learned from it. We are all human, mistakes happen, and PD(s) are more likely to forgive if the apology is sincere.

Thank your lucky stars you didn't have an accident and injured/killed another or yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your best option is to be forthright with this infraction on ERAS, don't try to "hide" it.

In your PS, own it, apologize for it and indicate what you learned from it. We are all human, mistakes happen, and PD(s) are more likely to forgive if the apology is sincere.

Thank your lucky stars you didn't have an accident and injured/killed another or yourself.
Definitely agree! I certainly plan to report to ERAS and I'm extremely thankful no one was injured.

You're asking the wrong questions--you need to read your student handbook, as they likely have to report to your school any time that you are charged with a crime. Especially an alcohol-related one. If you are formally charged, and you don't report to your school and it turns out that you are supposed to--THEN you will definitely get kicked out. The reason is that your 4th year rotation sites likely have some sort of policy about allowing people to work with these kinds of offenses.

So, look at your school handbook first and do what it tells you that you have to do.
I read it. It says we have to report convictions within 5 business days. Hopefully, it don't come to that; however I'm not that naive and I plan on reporting when it comes to the conviction. I'm worried that I'll be kicked out with one misdemeanor :(

There's no generic answers to your questions.

Although you seem to think that you only have to report to your school after a conviction, you should review that very carefully and consider disclosing it now anyway. From your legal advice it sounds like this is not going away. Let's say your school does decide to institute some disciplinary action for this -- which do you think would be better, alerting them now or surprising them with this when you're deep in application season? There probably is no way to get around letting them know, and as others have said some of your rotation sites may care.

Can you get kicked out of med school for a misdemeanor? Of course you can -- there was that student who stole the iPad of a patient who died. It depends on the nature of the issue, and perhaps more importantly, how you address it. Hiding it until the last minute may not be the best optics, even if it's "legal" in the handbook.

I will add that every single licensing / credentialing form I have seen specifically calls out DUI/OUI as not "minor".

There's no way to know which programs will consider you, or not. It's going to be program, field, and time dependent. And depend on how you handle the situation.

Reactions: 1 user
I read it. It says we have to report convictions within 5 business days. Hopefully, it don't come to that; however I'm not that naive and I plan on reporting when it comes to the conviction. I'm worried that I'll be kicked out with one misdemeanor :(
If even your own lawyer thinks it’s going to be a conviction, then I agree with @NotAProgDirector think you probably should rip the band aid off now and report to your school now so you can come up with a good plan to address. There are two main reasons for this:

1) I don't THINK that you're going to get dismissed over this, but presumably if you ARE gonna get dismissed it won't matter if you report now vs after a conviction. If there is any goodwill to be gained from getting out in front of this, you may as well take advantage of it.

2) There are absolutely programs where this will be disqualifying. It would be better to let prospective programs know up front so that you don't waste your time going on interviews where you will have zero chance after this conviction comes out. Also I feel confident it just comes off worse in the middle of application season, as that update makes it seem like this incident is either brand new or that you were trying to hide it (which you would, in fact, be doing). If you report to your school now, then you can start trying to make amends (go through some extra training, complete some probationary period, etc--basically show growth).

I think this message was well-intentioned, but I think it's really important to draw the distinction that this wasn't just a "mistake." Yes, we're all human, and we were all young and stupid once, but this doesn't fall under the category of young and stupid. First of all, the OP can't be that young--even if they went straight through from undergrad, they have to be at least 24-25. In 2023 with the ubiquitous availability of Ubers/Lyfts/taxis, there is no excuse for doing this and draws into question whether the OP has driven in questionable situations previously and just now got caught. Hence, I don't think an apology is sufficient--accepting accountability and making real actions demonstrating growth speak much more loudly. And again, this speaks to the advantage of disclosing now, because while ERAS opens soon at least this would leave a few months where the OP could try and accept accountability through whatever punishment is necessary.

The reality is that there are no good options, and any choice is going to lead to some very uncomfortable conversations. Unfortunately, I think you just have to pick the least crappy option, and I suspect that is to disclose now.

No good answer here. My thoughts:

1) given the timeframe I would definitely disclose. There’s no way you will graduate before this hits and you have to disclose anyhow. Doing so also gives your school a chance to help you. Sounds like you’re not a problem student and you may have built enough goodwill that people will want to help you. They may be able to help you craft a plan to get through this with your career intact. If they can you, well you saved yourself a lot of money on interviews and eras. I’d schedule a meeting and tell them face to face.

2) I’d strongly consider a LOA as part of your plan. You need to put some distance between you and this incident. I can’t imagine any program is willing to take a risk on someone with a fresh conviction like this. You’re months away from when they will be trusting you to care for patients, and I’m not sure you can demonstrate enough change in that time. With a year LOA you would have time to show how you’ve gotten help and taken steps to ensure nothing like this will happen again.

3) your best shot at matching will be your home program. If they know and like you, they may be willing to forgive this. Definitely more willing than some PD who’s never met you and sees a fresh conviction on your file. You’ll want to disclose to your mentors as well and control the narrative yourself. Telling people face to face and owning it and facing the music will look better than them hearing it from someone else.

Other students take note: your career hangs by a thread and it takes very little to break it. Sadly this kind of thing happens far more often than what gets posted here. The other thing that gets some people is programs that drug test right after match day. Just be very careful while you’re a student. It’s a very vulnerable time. Bad decisions hurt you less the further you get through training, so be extra careful early on.