Pending retake, applying anyway, will my application not be considered until retake score (Texas schools)?

D

deleted1020355

I submitted my application today with a 506. This is obviously low and I am retaking in June. I indicated this pending retake along with my old score. Willl medical schools "wait" for the retake score or will they just go off my old one to extend secondaries/interviews?

Isoval

Year four and still haven't failed out yet, cool.
2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
  1. Medical Student
Schools do not wait on retake scores.

They will review your application based on current scores (assuming they get to it before the new ones are in) and, when the new scores arrive, your application will be reevaluated whenever the faculty gets around to it.

Usually, applications are continually reevaluated for interviews.

This is true for all medical schools (AACOMAS, AMCAS, and TMDSAS)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Isoval

Year four and still haven't failed out yet, cool.
2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
  1. Medical Student
Thank you for letting me know. I know of one Texas school that confirmed that any pendings make the application incomplete.

It's not technically "pending". What they have in hand is a complete application.

For what it's worth, I had an interview from UTMB before they even had letters of recommendation from me. Conversely, TCOM did not extend me an interview until they received my letters (and I was invited to interview the day they got my letters).

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I submitted my application today with a 506. This is obviously low and I am retaking in June. I indicated this pending retake along with my old score. Willl medical schools "wait" for the retake score or will they just go off my old one to extend secondaries/interviews?
No, you'll get screened on your own score. Med schools are under no obligation to wait for a new schore.

Reactions: 1 user

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
Schools do not wait on retake scores.

They will review your application based on current scores (assuming they get to it before the new ones are in) and, when the new scores arrive, your application will be reevaluated whenever the faculty gets around to it.

Usually, applications are continually reevaluated for interviews.

This is true for all medical schools (AACOMAS, AMCAS, and TMDSAS)
I would disagree. Some do wait, others do not. However, there is no requirement that they wait

Last edited:

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
  1. Non-Student

What are your GPAs and ECs like? My thought is that if those are so-so, you'll get screened out at some programs and 'low-maybe-piled' pending your new scores to others. If they're strong, you'll get 'maybe-piled' more broadly.

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Maybe a stupid question, but, if this is a concern, why the rush to submit today? If you want schools to "wait," why not force the issue by "waiting" to submit?

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
Maybe a stupid question, but, if this is a concern, why the rush to submit today? If you want schools to "wait," why not force the issue by "waiting" to submit?
because that would logical and rational and we cant have that now can we?

• Love
  • Haha
D

deleted1020355

What are your GPAs and ECs like? My thought is that if those are so-so, you'll get screened out at some programs and 'low-maybe-piled' pending your new scores to others. If they're strong, you'll get 'maybe-piled' more broadly.

3.8 science/3.84 general
250 hrs clinical
Trilingual
300 hrs research experience + planned activity in data sci (trying to apply MD/mph)
100 hrs non-clinical
100 hrs employment as a TA
50 hrs shadowing my family physician

Definitely low stat, but as a lot of hopefuls say, my personality shines in all three of my TMDSAS essays.

Last edited by a moderator:

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
I struggle with histrionic personality disorder and guzzle sertraline (love a potent SERT inhibitor with low Ki) with great delight. I am antithetical to rationalism and logic, but I certainly get by with flying colors.
Well if you get by with flying colors I suggest you take an acrobatic intercourse at a locomoting pasty

• Love
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.