penn e-mail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphacentauri1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumors that there was a e-mail sent out by Penn to certain applicants inquiring about their interest in Penn (but not all applicants). I myself did not get one. Am I reading into this a bit too much?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard rumors that there was a e-mail sent out by Penn to certain applicants inquiring about their interest in Penn (but not all applicants). I myself did not get one. Am I reading into this a bit too much?

i received an email from the director at the end of january, but it seemed more like an update email sent to everyone who had interviewed thus far about where the school was in the application process than something that was targeted towards any particular group of applicants to gauge their interest.

Along with several general updates, I did receive an inquiry about my interest in Penn. I don't know anything about who they send these to. I assumed at the time that everyone got it but I don't know...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's odd how they do this. I received one, and it just makes me uncomfortable. Admissions decisions shouldn't be made like this. Sure, a candidate's interest in the school can be taken into account, but in that case, an email should go out to everyone.

So did you receive an update e-mail or both an update e-mail AND a "inquiry" e-mail? This thread doesn't make much sense due to vagueness.

I recevied an MSTP 'update' in January, a Penn Med 'update' in February, and a separate inquiry from Skip Brass later in February.

I agree that it is uncomfortable.

Wow, Penn still does this, eh? They were doing this when I applied over a decade ago!

I just told them I was no longer interested and withdrew my application.

Of course, I'm not an idiot, I had already been accepted into my top choice MSTP program. ;)

hey vp1001, when did you receive the separate inquiry email from skip brass?

First week of February

oi, I knew I should have waited to send my love letter/letter of interest! Not that I'd be expecting to get their "inquiry email", but I sent my letter before they might've sent that email. If they were planning to send one to me, they sure don't feel the need to...So I won't know till march if its requited love or not ::sigh::

So I won't know till march if its requited love or not ::sigh::

psh... but you already got into jhu and wash U! you're already golden too. would you pick penn over your other acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
psh... but you already got into jhu and wash U! you're already golden too. would you pick penn over your other acceptances?

jhu and penn are my two faves. I like both for different reasons so I can't say at this moment which I like more or would pick over the other. But, i'm not freaking out or anything, I love hopkins, and am chuffed to bits about the possibility of going there. I just meant it'd be nice to know where I stand w/ Penn. (the whole "requited love" thing is meant more tounge in cheek)

wash u was great too, but i still don't know if I can bumps with st. louis for 8 years

I'm late coming back to this party, but ftr what I meant was the 'inquiry' email (in addition to the update emails).

Neuro raqs -- I'd love a hopkins acceptance! How about we switch my inquiry email for your acceptance? That sounds fair to me :p.

I'm late coming back to this party, but ftr what I meant was the 'inquiry' email (in addition to the update emails).

Neuro raqs -- I'd love a hopkins acceptance! How about we switch my inquiry email for your acceptance? That sounds fair to me :p.

There's such a large amount of disconnect in this process between hopes, expectations, and results: I wanted so very badly to get in at WashU and attend, but I was waitlisted, and then Hopkins felt like an insane pipe dream that I didn't want to hold my breath for, and I was accepted with funding. It's very, very weird to me. We're in a pretty privileged position because we don't really have to think about money concerns like MD-only applicants (though I do think the difference between the stipend at Hopkins for the first 2 years versus the stipend at WashU is non-trivial), so we can really try to make our decisions based entirely on fit. And yet the place where I felt the best "fit" doesn't exactly feel the same way.

I'm just trying to think of it as, the schools have seen a lot more students than I've seen schools over the years, and they know much better how to pick a student that will thrive in their program and environment. So maybe Penn seens you as the exact right person for their style & resources. Whooooo knows though.

(Deleted)

Last edited:
Yea... I wonder if maybe the MD/PhD admissions will have made their decisions by 3/15 but then will have to wait until 3/30 so that all decisions go out at the same time... Mere speculation... la la la.

Yea... just bracing for the worst, hoping for the best! :)

ah, cool beans! so it should be ~3/15 after all...

Today I got an email from the graduate group I am interested in that said "You'll be hearing from the Combined Degree program in a few days regarding your admissions status." Not sure if all graduate groups sent something similar or if everyone got it, but all signs point to 3/15 as decision day..

i got that email from the NGG too-- what do you think it means? did everyone get it? if it's a mass email, it is sure a damn tantalizing mass email.

if we get word tomorrow, is it going to be email or a phone call? is there a time of day when this information usually goes out?

To the best of my knowledge, we will be notified by email that our status page has been updated.

whoa whoa, i didn't get a mass email!

eek!

well, well see what happens tmrw.

:luck: everyone!

Just a heads up -- the decisions are now posted on the website! (Don't worry if you didn't get a notification email yet... I didn't either.)

Just wanted to say congrats to those with acceptances and good luck to those on the waiting list! I was accepted originally back in 2008 and have been deferring my matriculation for the past 2 years but looking forward to starting in the fall. Hope to meet you all at revisit!